After a recommendation for a moisture meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike K

Dec 26, 2014
Michigan
Howdy
I want to get a moisture meter, but not a junk one like I just got from a big box store ...it plugged into your smartphone and never did work ...read the reviews and it didn't work for anyone ...go figure.
Anyway, what's a good one that everyone recommends? ...pin or pinless? I'd like to stay under $40 to $50 smackers ...what do you guys recommend?
Thx in advance!
- Mike

i am also looking for recommendations.
i normally dont use meter but have several stacks of various age i am watching.

i bought the stihl one about a year ago and am not impressed.
-it works well when it works.
-Some of the issues I have is the backlighting doesn’t stay on long enough to read the number but that is just an irritant.
-It’s very sensitive to batteries. it requires almost completely new bats (4 small silver bats). if the batteries get even slightly weak it won’t read or read erratic numbers.
-Issue I have now is when I took the batteries out, then later put the batteries back in, I get a faint illumination of the screen and it won’t respond to any of the buttons. r&r several times same issue. it’s sitting overnight. will try again today.