After Rebuild - Break In Burns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bsticks

Mar 19, 2010
NW New Jersey
Hi All -

I just finished replacing the insides of my Defiant II and last evening was the first of the small break in fires. I plan on completing 10 small break in fires in a controlled manner.

My question here is, what is a good break in temperature to start with? Is it 100 degrees for a period of time? For example, last evening, my break in burn was 100 degrees at the stove pipe and stove itself for a period 1 hour and 45 mins.Is this a good start? Should I ramp up the temperature through the rest of the break in period?

bsticks

Last edited:
Answered my own question, I have completed a series of 3 burns so far, slowly increasing the stove temp by 50 degrees each time. Things are moving along nicely.

sorry just noticed this thread. how far along are you? my defiant 1 is cruising at 600 right now. 12 degrees out. i'll wake tomorrow at about 7 and still should be a warm stove 300 350 and 73 degrees in the middle of the house.

Hi there, stove was fully broke in, I maintain a stove temp of 550/575 consistently for roughly 6-7 hours with the chamber about 75% full of capacity. I load it about 10pm, let it burn for 30mins, then damper it off until 5am. Stove temp is around 275/300 by then.