Air conditioning maintenance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
I have a Goodman ARUF air handler and CLJ condenser. It has worked very well over the years. I've checked the manuals and online and can't find any maintenance that is routinely required. Are these really maintenance free for 20 yrs? All I've done is change filters.

Clean. The coils need to be clean and clear for air flow. Filters too.

Agree. Clean is good. Other than that, it's a sealed system.

As Highbeam said "coils" meaning both outdoors and indoors. The inside coil will take some dis-assembly to access.

To add:
Especially outside, the coils are exposed to dirt, dust and vegetation. I have to keep an eye on mine, since nearby plants "attack" my condenser, and I have to remove them a couple of times a summer. Easy to do, but it must be done! The evaporator is probably in the attic, and not so easy to get to. Keeping the air filter(s) clean and in place is really important, as dirt that gets by them will collect on the wet evaporator and stick.

If you've always used good quality air filters and change them regularly you shouldn't ever need to clean the inside coils. However that is rarely the case. Most people use the cheapest filters they can buy and leave them in for sometimes years at a time, and end up with their inside coils looking something like the lint screen in their cloths drier.
If you really want to take care of your unit buy quality air filters and change them regularly. Don't rely on those cheap $2 filters.

Most people use the cheapest filters they can buy and leave them in for sometimes years at a time, and end up with their inside coils looking something like the lint screen in their cloths drier.
If you really want to take care of your unit buy quality air filters and change them regularly. Don't rely on those cheap $2 filters.
I totally agree.

If you've always used good quality air filters and change them regularly you shouldn't ever need to clean the inside coils.
I have to disagree somewhat here. Even the best filter won't make up for a poor fit or leaks in the air handler unit that let air bypass the filter. Its important to make sure the filter fits (and seals) well, and that leaks at seams and other places are sealed with tape or mastic.

Reactions: Lumber-Jack
I have to disagree somewhat here. Even the best filter won't make up for a poor fit or leaks in the air handler unit that let air bypass the filter. Its important to make sure the filter fits (and seals) well, and that leaks at seams and other places are sealed with tape or mastic.
Good point, if you have some leaks that bypass the filters, or poor fitting filters you should make sure you seal things up so all the air is going through the filters.

In regard to the filters, if you have an air handler unit that will accommodate two 1" filters, what I like to do is use a quality pleated filter (MERV 8 or so) as the primary filter and stick one of those cheap filters in front to catch the majority of the coarse stuff. Usually then you can change the cheap filters a couple times before the expensive filter needs to be replaced, thus extend the life of the more expensive filter.

Agreed. Change filters as needed, and keep the outdoor coil clean. That's it.

The most important maintenance task that will ensure the efficiency of your Air Conditioner is to routinely replace or clean its filters. Clogged, dirty filters block normal airflow and reduce a system's efficiency significantly. With normal airflow obstructed, air that bypasses the filter may carry dirt directly into the evaporator coil and impair the coil's heat-absorbing capacity. Replacing a dirty, clogged filter with a clean one can lower your air conditioner's energy consumption by 5% to 15%.

Last edited:
When I had a condo with AC, the outside coil was at ground level. I would put a plastic bag over the fan motor and wash the fins and coils with a hose, brush and soap...being careful to not damage fins.

It was insanely dirty the first time I did this...after the previous owners hadn't ever cleaned it.

I agree with the point that cleaning up the filter can greatly improve the performance of your ac. Dirty filters are one of the main reasons that affect the performance of your ac.

Status
Not open for further replies.