Air Control Was Totally Shut Off & Now Have Black Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dboone

Nov 22, 2008
Western Missouri
Today for the first time I coached my wife on adding a few logs in the middle of the day so I would still have some good coals when I got home from work. I guess I didn't show her the right way to reduce the air control. I came home and found the air control pushed all the way in and the glass was so black that you barely see a flame behind it. There was also some wet looking creosote at the top on the inside of the door. The logs that were in there appeared to have been smoldering since they also were all black. Do you think this was due entirely to the air being completely shut off? The good thing is that I am having a chimney sweep coming out on Friday to see how much buildup I have in my first couple months of burning.

(Attn Moderator: I accidentally posted this first in the Gas forum. I tried to move it, but could not and also could not delete it)

1) Give your wife credit not heck for trying to take care of the hobby you like so bad that your on the hearth forum.
2) Dont tell her the wood you gave her to use was not seasoned.
3) Be the man and get a raging fire going with seasoned wood and have it clean that glass up while you are making mad passionate love to her in front of that 30-NC on that bear skin rug.
:coolsmile:

Hold on there mister...who said I was giving my wife a hard time about this. :) Do you think I am crazy? Actually, I have not even said a word to her about it. I have been married long enough to know the right time to subtly mention this detail.

Next time it happens show her how you can clean the glass without touching it...she'll make the connection as a lesson learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.