Air draft at surround panel - Enviro 1700

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 23, 2018
Folks I have noticed air being sucked into the grout spaces around the surround panel of my Enviro 1700. Trying to figure out what's going on, is this normal, etc. Photo posted below.

Bunch of things come to mind.

1. Is this necessary for the stove to draw air for the air intake? Or are there other air feed sources if this is insulated?
  2. The Enviro Manual states they do not recommend insulating this area unless "your chimney have a minimum cross-sectional area of 28 and a maximum of 144 square inch." How do I measure the cross sectional area?
  3. is this contributing the heat loss up the chimney? Would a block off plate improve this situation?
Thanks

Ken
Stove Panel.jpg

With a 6" liner you have the 28 sq in area covered. Sounds like a block-off plate may be needed.

With a block off plate I have the reverse on the top. A lot of heat spills out the top even when the fan is on. Kids like to go put their cold hands on the brick above the surround to warm them up.

With a block off plate I have the reverse on the top. A lot of heat spills out the top even when the fan is on. Kids like to go put their cold hands on the brick above the surround to warm them up.

That's an interesting point you have there. I can hold my hand directly on the center point of the surround panel. Warm but not too hot. It measures ~110/115 degrees on the infrared thermometer. At this point the rear of the panel is exposed to the firebox opening, not brick.

This stove does not throw as much heat as expected & I've suspected a lot is going up the chimney. Had planned for a block off plate this summer but more pressing projects consumed my time. So will do for sure next year and will try to repeat these measurements for comparison.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Ken

These are the temps I’m getting right now towards the end before a reload in another hour. Big difference from what you’re reporting.

Attachments

• FA8B9D9E-6689-4EBA-BCD3-F0918C87C3F2.jpeg
    FA8B9D9E-6689-4EBA-BCD3-F0918C87C3F2.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 2BB6BF0F-E93F-4276-8C66-F64C6A9F4932.jpeg
    2BB6BF0F-E93F-4276-8C66-F64C6A9F4932.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 141
  • A73BFC1D-56C8-4153-ADED-B2732BCFA2BE.jpeg
    A73BFC1D-56C8-4153-ADED-B2732BCFA2BE.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 141
Wow yes huge difference. That 212 reading is on the brick just above the surround panel?

This is confirming my suspicions. I felt I was not getting as much heat as my friends do from their stoves, and one has the exact same model. But it was difficult to accurately compare since our house/room is much much larger.

Thanks again very helpful

Wow yes huge difference. That 212 reading is on the brick just above the surround panel?

This is confirming my suspicions. I felt I was not getting as much heat as my friends do from their stoves, and one has the exact same model. But it was difficult to accurately compare since our house/room is much much larger.

Thanks again very helpful
Yeah, the 212 is the brick where the air drafts upwards. I’ve seen lots of threads asking about sealing the surround. That never made sense to me based on the heat I get coming out.

I also have Roxul stuffed on the back wall. That helps a little too I think.