air flow gate..Serenity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marina1327

Apr 23, 2015
New Jersey
I have a question for any Serenity stove owners...which way open and closes the air flow gate? I read the manual and I found the air flow gate but don't know which way it opens?

Thanks,
Theresa

Pulling it out or towards you opens it.

I had to open the air flow gate just a bit on my Serenity to get a strong yellow flame. It is burning better now.

Thanks, Rich...that's what we thought..but glad to know for sure.

I was having trouble with the ashes clogging the burn pot and I read on here that opening the air flow gate might help...it seemed to.

your welcome and congrats on your stove,we are getting a pretty good amount of Serenity owners on here so if you have any other questions you know where to go.

Reactions: GT_Sharp
Hi guys, need a little direction here.
*Where* exactly is the little metal tab for adjusting the air flow gate? The photo isn't very enlightening.

I know this is stupid but from the front of the stove you need to remove the left side panel the air gate will be towards the bottom on your right.Several of us owners added an adjustment rod out the side of the stove so you can adjust the air without removing the side panel.

Great, found it. Thanks.

I actually had a small heart attack about this, and here's why:
In the photo, the metal tab looks exactly like the metal tabs that secured the stove to the wooden pallet that it was shipped on. The photo also makes it look like the tab sticks outside of the stove. When we installed the stove, I recall my friends unscrewing and discarding one of the metal shipping tabs and for a moment, I thought they discarded the air flow gate tab!

I adjusted the gate each way, and frankly, it didn't seem to make much difference either way, so I closed it off just a wee bit. I still have a very active, dancing flame and the pot isn't backing up, so I think I'm ok. I'm burning Lignetics pellets but I have 3/4 ton of Cheat River brand pellets that I'll be getting into.

Normally I absolutely dread buying Chinese built products, but I was on a very tight budget and had to settle for the Serenity stove.
*IF* this thing goes the distance, and customer support is as good as people say, I'm mightily impressed.
I have an 1800 sq. ft home if you include my un-insulated sun room. With the stove on LOW, and the house wide open, the inside temp is 70F with an outside air temp of 35F.

When temps dip into the teens, I have a lot of options with closing doors, recirculating warm air and bumping up the stove output, so it should easily keep up. After spending the last two winters with the house at 58F and $250 electric bills, this will be a real treat.

Great, found it. Thanks.

In the photo, the metal tab looks exactly like the metal tabs that secured the stove to the wooden pallet that it was shipped on. The photo also makes it look like the tab sticks outside of the stove. When we installed the stove, I recall my friends unscrewing and discarding one of the metal shipping tabs and for a moment, I thought they discarded the air flow gate tab!

I adjusted the gate each way, and frankly, it didn't seem to make much difference either way, so I closed it off just a wee bit. I still have a very active, dancing flame and the pot isn't backing up, so I think I'm ok. I'm burning Lignetics pellets but I have 3/4 ton of Cheat River brand pellets that I'll be getting into.

Normally I absolutely dread buying Chinese built products, but I was on a very tight budget and had to settle for the Serenity stove.
*IF* this thing goes the distance, and customer support is as good as people say, I'm mightily impressed.
I have an 1800 sq. ft home if you include my un-insulated sun room. With the stove on LOW, and the house wide open, the inside temp is 70F with an outside air temp of 35F.

When temps dip into the teens, I have a lot of options with closing doors, recirculating warm air and bumping up the stove output, so it should easily keep up. After spending the last two winters with the house at 58F and $250 electric bills, this will be a real treat.

Ajax, you'll love your new serenity. Got mine up and running about a week ago. My unheated loft is now comfy and cozy. So far, #1 has done the trick. Actually, my wife complained it was to warm this morning ! Unheard of !! I have noticed I get dirty glass on #1. Probably the pellets though, North Country.

Good luck with your new stove!

Great, found it. Thanks.

The Serenity is made in china but it was engineered by Ardisam who made cumberland stoves for years. The first design of the castle stoves had issues with ash blockages but they went to work and redesigned the stove eliminating that problem and that became the Serenity. You won't find an easier stove to keep clean,no hidden passages,no baffles to remove, just remove the ash pan vacuum the firebox and your done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jake86
The Serenity is made in china but it was engineered by Ardisam who made cumberland stoves for years. The first design of the castle stoves had issues with ash blockages but they went to work and redesigned the stove eliminating that problem and that became the Serenity. You won't find an easier stove to keep clean,no hidden passages,no baffles to remove, just remove the ash pan vacuum the firebox and your done.
Rich, do you think it's worth vacuuming the exhaust fan opening, bottom left side of the stove? I have a tube adapter for my ash vac that could manage it. Thanks

Rich, do you think it's worth vacuuming the exhaust fan opening, bottom left side of the stove? I have a tube adapter for my ash vac that could manage it. Thanks
absolutely I can get my shop vac hose in the opening and all the way back to the exhaust fan.last year I pulled the exhaust blower after about a ton and half of pellets and it was incredibly clean.

Reactions: sparklow
absolutely I can get my shop vac hose in the opening and all the way back to the exhaust fan.last year I pulled the exhaust blower after about a ton and half of pellets and it was incredibly clean.
Super! I'll vac it today.
Also, the ash build up on the top of the fire box (similar to ash build up on the glass), the inside metal roof of the fire box the heat exchangers sit on. I've been keeping that area clean hopefully increasing the heat exchange temperature. What's your take on this?

sure while your in there cleaning vac the top also.I do my entire inside vac. once or twice a week

"Rich, do you think it's worth vacuuming the exhaust fan opening, bottom left side of the stove? I have a tube adapter for my ash vac that could manage it. Thanks"

At the risk of showing my ignorance once again, can someone be a bit more specific on this exhaust fan opening. Where exactly is it on my Serenity? I would think that vacuuming it out periodically is a good idea. Another thing that I was wondering about is the neg. pressure sensing port on the upper right of the firebox. Does this need a clean and vac. too or am I likely to damage it by trying?

"Rich, do you think it's worth vacuuming the exhaust fan opening, bottom left side of the stove? I have a tube adapter for my ash vac that could manage it. Thanks"

At the risk of showing my ignorance once again, can someone be a bit more specific on this exhaust fan opening. Where exactly is it on my Serenity? I would think that vacuuming it out periodically is a good idea. Another thing that I was wondering about is the neg. pressure sensing port on the upper right of the firebox. Does this need a clean and vac. too or am I likely to damage it by trying?
It's the square opening bottom left of the fire box. If you look at the manual in the exploded parts section, you can see it leads to the exhaust fan out the exhaust pipe to your venting. It's approximately 2.5" x 2.5".
Not sure about the sensor. I use a vac brush attachment to clean the inside glass and interior of the fire box, so I wouldn't damage it anyway.

Reactions: sparklow
I'm trying to adjust my air gate I pushed it in a little from factory settings and now my fire is hitting the inside top any help would be appreciated

Castle serenity
Ok, try adjusting it in ( closes) out towards you (opens) while it's going and watch the flame. Adjust it to strong white active flame. The flame goes higher or lower by the number of pellets in the pot as well. Just wondering. Did you adjust the exhaust voltage?

I moved the gate about 1/8 inch in and tonight I'll go through the manual my flame goes about 2 inches from the top on the second setting I just don't know where it should be thanks

I moved the gate about 1/8 inch in and tonight I'll go through the manual my flame goes about 2 inches from the top on the second setting I just don't know where it should be thanks
Sounds normal. Flame.goes.up and down. If there was a.problem, the diagnostics would let you know most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.