air impact wrench decison

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
Looking into purchasing a good impact wrench since i got my new quincy compressor. Looking at ingersoll 2132g and titanium series. Lookind at aircat line also. Any other suggestions or reccomendations. Thanx all.

IR is good. I have a cheap Northern tool 3/4 and 1/2 impact that changes ALOT of commercial truck tires. Had them for 7 years of hard use still going strong.
Keep it lubed every use and it will last forever.

I agree, unless you are going to be earning a living with it, IR or equivalent is a luxury, Northern, C/H or even (gasp) Harbor Freight low end units will probably get the job done just about as well...

OTOH, I will say I'm less than thrilled by my Quincy compressor - either they understate their air delivery ability, or ALL my tools overstate their consumption, but my 3.5hp 20 gallon electric Quincy doesn't live up to my expectations...

Gooserider

I may be wrong on this but an air tools cfm consumption is inttermitent use and you need to double it or something cant remember what the percentage is to add to what its rated. As long as it will pull lug nuts off it will be enough for me.

i have an IR air ratchet, and am very happy with it. It feels like a professional tool. It was more expensive than the others, but not that much more as I recall. If you're going to use it much, or be hard on it (like I am) it might be worth the $.

definiteLEE said:
I think Northern is the best of the cheap brands. Chicago pnuematic not to bad . I wood stay away from HF. I think they are junk.

I could be wrong, but I think Chicago Pneumatic IS one of the many HF house brands, just like Chicago Electric - at least it's a brand I see advertised in the HF catalogs a lot... Oops... Actually just checked the HF website, they have several flavors of "Central Pneumatic" but no Chicago Pneumatic...

However Google does find a Chicago Pneumatic company.... Looks like decent stuff from the website, but never tried any of it.

I have tried the HF Central Pneumatic stuff, and would say that they aren't great, but are tolerable for low cost / non-pro tools.

Gooserider

yea chicago is good stuff. We got some at work that is very abused ( never oiled and when oiled they get gear oil, used as a hammer seen it done, drug being pulled by the hose back and forth across the plant and is about 10 years old, trigger tie wrapped to let it run continually) its getting a little weak but still works great. Got some of their air ratchets too. The ingersolls just seem to have more reverse torque. We also got plenty of air there in tools defense too. OUr smallest compressor is a 350hp IR Centac and the biggest being 1000hp turbine on demand air.

I have a 1/2" snap on and a 1/2" I.R. The I.R. cost 1/3 as much and has more power than the snap on.

Have a Mac 3/8 dr, and IR Titanium 1/2in. both are nut busting fools in an industrial enviroment. Both are pricey for the homeowner type use

My husband worked in a garage between jobs years ago. He also works on cars for family and friends at home. He used to get frustrated as heck with the Sears gun. Then he bought a gun that ended his frustration for good. So I asked him for you:
Tu-Tu says (10:41 AM):
what is the impact wrench you have? the air one?
Glenn says (10:41 AM):
IR
ingersol rand
i was looking at the ones at lowes
Glenn says (10:42 AM):
there was a cobalt that was close for a good price
but the IR's rock
they are usually twice the price of the cheap ones
and worth it

I use mine to make a living and personally own a snap on 3100 and the shop i work for has an in house IR 2135 Ti and I'd trade my more expensive snap on unit for that IR any day!!

Yep, had my I.R for 13 years now, excellent gun. At twice the price of junk but only 1/3 as much as a snap on, it is easily the best value to be had.

pawn shops!

use to sell mac. back when i sold the stuff ir was king 25 year old cp was good new stuff is japan. lots of new snap on is japan. tools work but don't last. a good ir for home and shop that will last forever if you marval mystery oil them when your done is the ir 231. mac has a simular gun and it's made by ir for mac. the diff is the mac is slightly stronger because in the air outlet on the ir is a screw that holds it together. mac told them to move it and that's why the same gun is stronger. i had some of my guys at the time give me their 231 gun to have it rebuilt. i said what's wrong? thay said nothing it's 25 years old and it's just starting to lose some of it's power. the ir ratchets are strong and i think it's a 221 can't remember, but the 3/8 gun is as strong as some of the cheap 1/2 inch ones

I've got a porter cable 1/2 and it is made well and works well; got it at a good price from Amazon.com

oilstinks said:
Looking into purchasing a good impact wrench since i got my new quincy compressor. Looking at ingersoll 2132g and titanium series. Lookind at aircat line also. Any other suggestions or reccomendations. Thanx all.

I have a CP impact that I bought in 1978. I used it as an auto mechanic for several years since. It has been rebuilt a couple
of time and still use it at home. Check on availability of repair parts.
I have an IR 3/8 impact and a 3/8 ratchet and both are excellent tools.
I have found that the Harbor Freight air tools tend to be VERY NOISY.

timjk69 said:
oilstinks said:

I have a CP impact that I bought in 1978. I used it as an auto mechanic for several years since. It has been rebuilt a couple
of time and still use it at home. Check on availability of repair parts.
I have an IR 3/8 impact and a 3/8 ratchet and both are excellent tools.
I have found that the Harbor Freight air tools tend to be VERY NOISY.

those old cp were the best in their day. used to use a large cp air hammer with a chisel and hammer end. no one made a better one.

All my air tools are I.R. and definitely marvel mystery oil is the key lubricant.

I am a mechanic by trade GO WITH THE I R They out perform a snap on any day of the week As stated before by others Lubebefore each use and it will last a lifetime...

anyone tried aircats nitrocat

Status
Not open for further replies.