Air sealed, highly insulated house using only wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Interesting concept. I dont think I want to see the unit cost. IMHO its a niche solution designed for a high end market that can be duplicated for far less with conventional materials.

A well built conventional building rarely fails and is far less costly, it usually is compromised by cheap materials, poor construction practices or lack of maintenance. Put it on a good foundation, keep a good roof on it and pay attention to the wall membrane and its going to last a long time. I expect most buildings are obsolete and subsequently under maintained long before they are worn out.

Plenty of timber frame barns around my neck of the woods that are in the 200 year old range. The problem is that the farmers who own them don't have a lot of use for them as the design doesn't line up with modern mechanized farming. I drive by many farming operations where the old barns are falling down next to the newer clear span barns. Many farmers let them fall down so they dont have to pay the taxes on them. There are a few state programs where some other entity subsidizes the cost to keep the bars standing and gives a tax break to minimize the taxes.

Nothing but wood, so no wiring, plumbing or heating? I like that they build for the long term, but if built enmasse those forests wouldn't last long.

Reactions: SpaceBus
A solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

I thought about the wiring, but there are solutions to wire on the surface.

None of my heat or plumbing travels through my exterior walls before entering the living areas.

I imagine that, if this were to gain momentum, they would farm the trees like they do for 2x material.

There is no way this would take off due to cost. But it's a neat idea.

On the other hand, there is cordwood construction-

https://cordwoodconstruction.org/

(Richard Flatau posts a lot on the facebook group Talking Natural Homes about this stuff)