air setting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Trey1979

Feeling the Heat
Sep 20, 2018
Mississippi
last night loaded up a pretty good load I thought it might have been getting out of control stove top was at 750 and with the air setting all the way down single wall pipe was 420.should the stove have cooled with the air all the way down?

2018 drolet ht2000

last night loaded up a pretty good load I thought it might have been getting out of control stove top was at 750 and with the air setting all the way down single wall pipe was 420.should the stove have cooled with the air all the way down?

2018 drolet ht2000
I believe I'm adding a damper in the single wall I dont like not having more control over the fire is this going to affect anything?

2018 drolet ht2000

I have the same stove and about 23 feet of chimney. When it's running good and I pack the fire box my stove top is always between 700 and 800. I have not had it run away yet but I worry about that day. I often wonder about a damper.

I have the same stove and about 23 feet of chimney. When it's running good and I pack the fire box my stove top is always between 700 and 800. I have not had it run away yet but I worry about that day. I often wonder about a damper.
my chimeny is 12 ft and this was loaded with pecan the temp outside was around 40 . I have wondered about my glass gasket being it looks kinda jacked up

2018 drolet ht2000

Very well could be. Dollar bill test it or hold a lighter up too it when the stove is running and see if the flame gets sucked in.
At 40 outside I have a difficult time not smoldering my fire if I shut the air right down.

2018 drolet ht2000
Nothing out of the ordinary really. if you want it a bit cooler either load less wood or use larger splits and try shutting down the air sooner and more aggressively.

Reactions: moresnow
Very well could be. Dollar bill test it or hold a lighter up too it when the stove is running and see if the flame gets sucked in.
At 40 outside I have a difficult time not smoldering my fire if I shut the air right down.
It's going to vary with each installation. Stove and chimney location, house design and upper floor sealing can affect draft. Leaky upstairs windows, attic door and ceiling vents can create negative pressure on the floor below.

5D8B33CF-5475-48A8-ABC5-934A7DCE0483.png
I have the same stove with the same concern. Lowering the air will not cool the stove. I’ve had many scarey moments. 800+ F seems to be the norm. I even have the secondary air restricted In hopes of gaining more control but that hasn’t been the case. This image is 5 med size splits packed tight N/S. Only about half the firebox.

Was the peak flue temp right before the air was turned down?

Nothing out of the ordinary really. if you want it a bit cooler either load less wood or use larger splits and try shutting down the air sooner and more aggressively.
The hot burns and big fire box are what I love about this stove. I can load it and go to work for 10 hours and get back to a warm house and a stove with coal in it.
From what I have tried it makes very little difference when I shut the air down. It always gets up to about 800 stove top just take more or less time to get there.

Yes, Don that’s the same as mine. End result is always high STT. Just might be a little sooner or later In the burn cycle.

You may be dealing with slightly greater draft and have a different secondary config. After many years I get pretty predictable heat from the stove and can govern it from 500 to 750F. But to achieve the lower temp I need to do partial loads. That's ok because I only need to do that on mild days when one morning fire suffices. With a full load the stove top is going to be at around 650F to 700F depending on how tightly I pack the firebox and how quickly I turn down the air.

The hot burns and big fire box are what I love about this stove. I can load it and go to work for 10 hours and get back to a warm house and a stove with coal in it.
From what I have tried it makes very little difference when I shut the air down. It always gets up to about 800 stove top just take more or less time to get there.
mine has coal after 12 are so hours

2018 drolet ht2000

Lowering the air will not cool the stove.

it's almost counter intuitive but these stove produce more heat with the air turned down. turning down the air only closes off the primary air supply, the secondary air supply(s) is still wide open and secondary burns (smoke and gases) are what produce a lot of heat. this is working as intended. it's nothing like the old airtight smoke dragons where closing them down turned them into smoldering creosote machines

Reactions: Ctwoodtick