Aircraft Carrier - for sale - one cent buys it!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Worth every penny.

Hmm, new company boat? Can we launch the corporate jet from it?

You couldn't even get the lights to come on, much less get it to move.

Ship is worth millions in scrap metal value at copper at $2.50 a pound and steel at $12 a hundred.

It'll cost millions just to get all the hazmat out of it, then millions more to gut it...just getting ready to start cutting it up. Hard, dangerous, labor-intensive work. And lots of it. It's a huge job and will take a long time.

Reactions: Frozen Canuck
Well, we need the work as our most valuable export is now scrap metal going to china.

Yes, we may need Mr. Tillerson's help there. BroBart, think you can wrangle

Bangladesh is the capital of ship breaking salvage. It's a dangerous job with a lot of it being done by young boys.
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2014/05/shipbreakers/gwin-text

2010 it was India but apparently they lost some business with minimal increases in safety...

Yes, we may need Mr. Tillerson's help there. BroBart, think you can wrangle

Only thing I tore down and recycled for him was a mainframe data center in Princeton. Pretty challenging in itself.

Hmmm...I want one of the cats. I have a couple of woodchucks I would like to relocate to the next county.

LOL I've often thought of sending local deer airborne into Puget Sound. Was thinking trebuchet, but the cat would do the job nicely.

Reactions: Frozen Canuck
Are those oil slicks coming from the craft?

Are those oil slicks coming from the craft?

You would wish that this was the worst environmental damage from that test. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Crossroads

> A fleet of 95 target ships was assembled in Bikini Lagoon and hit with two detonations of Fat Man plutonium implosion-type nuclear weapons of the kind dropped on Nagasaki, each with a yield of 23 kilotons of TNT (96 TJ). The first test was Able. The bomb ... detonated 520 feet (158 m) above the target fleet. It caused less than the expected amount of ship damage because it missed its aim point by 2,130 feet (649 m). The second test was Baker. The bomb... was detonated 90 feet (27 m) underwater on July 25, 1946. Radioactive sea spray caused extensive contamination. A third deep water test, Charlie, planned for 1947, was canceled primarily because of the United States Navy's inability to decontaminate the target ships after the Baker test....Chemist Glenn T. Seaborg, the longest-serving chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission, called Baker "the world's first nuclear disaster." <

Status
Not open for further replies.