Airens Splitter Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woody5506

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2017
Rochester NY
Just brought home my first splitter today, Airens 27 ton and it went well until about my 2nd hour in and now it seems to be jammed half way. Won't retract or move forward even. I purchased from a reputable dealer (who I will be calling first thing in the morning) and it was supposed to be ready to go, all fluids topped off etc.

My first assumption was low hydraulic fluid. The dipstick shows it low so I added a bunch but still no luck. Any ideas from anyone more experienced with these things than me? I'm pretty frustrated to say the least...

Yes the lever and pin are still intact. It basically just stopped moving forward as I was splitting a small chunk of maple. And it hasn't moved since.

To me it sounds like it's either in your valve or your losing pressure some where in your lines, if the later was the case you would have hydraulic fluid leaking. These are just my assumptions though. Either way I would definitely take it back to the dealer.

Reactions: Woody5506
No leaks anywhere. The thing ran great and then just went dead.

I have no doubt the dealer will make it right, however more than anything it's just a pain.

Check the lovejoy connection. It could be spinning on the motor shaft OR the pump shaft. If it ain't that it is probably something to do with relief valve. If it isn't one of those it might be more serious, like seals.

Reactions: Woody5506
Thanks for the tips to those who replied. Funny how something with such a simple concept can be so frustrating.

Luckily, because it has a total of about 2 hours of use, it's not really my problem to deal with, so the dealer is coming to pick it up today. We'll see what happens from there.