Alderela T4 or T5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Milk

Oct 16, 2018
Colorado
Hi all, I have a 1600 sq /ft home that insulated 2x6 16 on center walls, open floor plan consists of around around 900 to 1000 sq/ft and the rest being rooms. Would like to offset the majority heating done by forced air furnace with wood stove. I live Northern Front Range Colorado and interested in Alderela T4 or T5. Really want to buy the right stove. All information welcome.

Ok, let me put it another way. Is the Alderlea T5 to much for the aforementioned home? I am worried that the T5 might be to big and I might have to underfire it and at the same time the T4 not being big enough.

Thanks

The T5 can throttle back fairly well. I added a layer of fire brick to the bottom of mine that allows me to run a little smaller firebox during the shoulder seasons. The cast iron surround also spreads out the intensity of the heat being released from the stove. I don't think you'll have any problems with it.

I think the T4 would be a bit small for your home and suffer from short burn times. I used to not mind getting up every night at 2 or 3 to reload a small stove. Not so much anymore.

The T5 can throttle back fairly well. I added a layer of fire brick to the bottom of mine that allows me to run a little smaller firebox during the shoulder seasons. The cast iron surround also spreads out the intensity of the heat being released from the stove. I don't think you'll have any problems with it.

I think the T4 would be a bit small for your home and suffer from short burn times. I used to not mind getting up every night at 2 or 3 to reload a small stove. Not so much anymore.
Thanks for the advice

T5. You will appreciate the larger firebox in cold weather. Better loading options, longer burn time. You control the heat by the amount of wood you load, the thickness of the splits and how soon the air is turned down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Highbeam
T5 for all the above reasons. We heat about the same sq. ft., but a very old frame house that is not well insulated. It is not fully adequate when the temp. gets below freezing, but for your newer house w/6" framing & good insulation will be good I'm sure. Like said, we burn small fires in ours during shoulder season. Its a good stove & easy maintain(er).

And.......like "eatenbylimestone" states you can close in the firebox with some firebricks. We have done that on the sides, which works well during shoulder season, but is inconvenient removing hot bricks when the temps. dip down. Just as easy to just build a small fire, basically to one side or the other -- works well. Good stove, good choice & handy to have a cook top when the power goes down. We love ours.

Last edited:
I grew up and have lived in the land of PE stoves my whole life. Stove dealers seem to push the small size stoves here for some reason, don't know if it's price based or what. But the T4/Vista size box is somewhat of a toy stove, great for a Friday night fire with the lady but a waste of time trying to heat a house as they are too small for an overnight burn. Craigslist here always has them for sale cheap and in good shape too...

You can make quite a dent in a heating bill with a small stove. You just need to load it more often. Stoves don't run as well with small fires as they do when loaded up and working hard. I think people would do better with a slightly small stove.

However, a t5 is appropriately sized for the OP.