Alderlea T6 installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponderosa

Oct 4, 2008
Washington State
We're just beginning use of our Pacific Energy Alderlea T6, as installed last summer. If you're considering this stove, or installing it, these notes may be of interest.

This T6 replaced a small QuadraFire which had served us well, but was too small for our expanding home and (perhaps due to high heat) had a problem with a sagging steel upper heat shield which reduced the usable fire box size.

In selecting a new stove, one concern was avoiding overheating, since our home is long in shape. After waffling between the smaller T5 and the larger T6, we trusted reports that the T6 could be run at reduced levels for lower heat, and ordered the larger stove. (In use, we are very pleased with the ability to run the T6 at low level heats, when desired.)

We had planned to buy the T6 from ChimneySweepOnline.com, because of their very helpful web pages with extensive information. However, our county's air quality people opened a buy back program to encourage replacement of older wood stoves, and we had to order through a local dealer to participate.

The T6 as delivered to the local dealer, on a wooden pallet, is roughly 600 pounds. Their forklift placed it in our truck, and at home our tractor's hydraulic front loader lifted it out. Without hydraulics, it would take several people to handle the stove.

One question was what lift points to use for the stove. I called Pacific Energy and got quick help from a tech, who explained that in-house they lift stoves from the chimney collar on the stove top. Cut a flat steel bar longer than the chimney collar, drill a hole for your cable/hook/rope to attach, then slip the steel bar thru & under the collar, then lift.

Our existing hearth was too small for the clearances required by the large T6. Rather than trying to relocate the existing chimney going through our roof, I expanded the old hearth in the front & sides, then overlaid the entire area with new hard board and floor tile. The new tile is trimmed out with 3/4" oak. When designing the new hearth size, note that floor protection is measured from the T6 door opening, not from the T6 outer sides.

The steel legs under the T6 look good, but their bottom footprint is extremely narrow. To avoid potential tile cracking from high psi loads, I cut steel plate 1/4' thick, 3" x 4", to slip under each foot. Each plate has a bolt braised to it, going up to secure to the hole in the steel leg, and a hole for later securing the plate to the floor. Bolting the plate to the floor required a special hole drilling saw with a diamond coating; an ordinary carbide tipped tile saw would just not penetrate the hard floor tile that we used. Once the tile was drilled, each steel plate was secured to the floor with a lag screw.

Getting the heavy T6 uncrated and off the pallet, and then through a doorway, and across our living room floor, and up on to the raised hearth, theoretically could be done with 4 to 6 strong people. For me, it was a solo job, so I built a wooden crane for this one use, from 2x6 wood. The crane has 4 casters underneath, and a 12 volt winch (from Costco, intended for ATVs or small trucks) up top to lift the T6. Moving the T6 with the crane took care, but was doable, including the fine tuning necessary to locate the T6 in just the right position. A hydraulic car jack also came in hand at the end.

Fresh air comes into the T6 through a vent hole in the bottom, which is opened easily by removing a knockout. The resulting hole did not line up with my existing floor vent hole, so I fabricated a steel box (similar in shape to a Kleenex box) just big enough connect the two holes. It, and the steel plates for the legs, are all spray painted flat black, and fit in well visually. I intend to caulk the box into place with silicone, later; so far the temps in that location have been low enough for silicone caulk.

The fire bricks that came with the T6 fit well, with one exception. I used an electric tile saw to trim the one tile. As noted elsewhere, the fire bricks are not designed to cover every square inch of the fire box bottom or sides, just most of them.

The only T6 drawback I found was that there is no supplied information to tell the user which damper position is "on" or "off". You can figure it out in use (left is "on"), and I later used whiteout to mark the information on one of the leg plates.

Our county requires inspection, and electrical grounding of the T6. I ran the copper grounding wire through the air vent, under the house, so it is not visible. The inspector uses an electric meter to verify that grounding is in place.

Lighting the T6 requires a little more care than with our much smaller Quadrafire, since the T6 fire box is so spacious. Use your starting wood to create a small fire-starting space, and leave the T6 door slightly cracked open until it catches. We find it easy now.

The capacity of the T6 still amazes me. Early in the spring, I committed us to buying the contemplated T6 by cutting 8 cords of firewood at 20" length (instead of our former 13" standard), and after splitting the rounds the final pieces are much larger in diameter. The new T6 easily digests these large chunks. So, there's less work for the chain saw, and for the hydraulic splitter.

Between the newer technology of this T6, and it's capacity, we find that it requires less frequent refilling, and holds a burn much longer (easily overnight on low). The heat does seem "softer", presumably due to the larger surface areas which present heat to the living room. The thermometer on our chimney tells us that we're typically burning with lower chimney temps (no longer bordering on "too hot"). Warm up time from cold is a bit longer.

Bottom line: The T6's cast iron looks great to our eyes, it burns well both low and high, it accepts large wood and burns long and soft. If you install it yourself, be prepared for the weight. We're very happy with the T6. No regrets.

Attachments

• _D208987e.jpg
    _D208987e.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 784
  • _D209026e.jpg
    _D209026e.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 820
Good choice and review. The stove looks great in that setting. I love the ingenious transport rig. Mine came in ratchet strapped to a heavy duty hand truck.

That's an awesome dolly/crane you made.
Great Job

Looks good.
We had to use a boom truck to lift the stove to my second floor. I used webbing across the bottom and doubled all the attachment points so if it failed I had a backup. We used two dollys to move it across the room. Still have to place it on top of tile and am wondering how you got it on your hearth as I don't see how the wheels would negotiate the rise.
Am thinking of using the webbing and have four people lift it into place. 125# per person.

Great post, nice install! Very clever method of manuvering the stove by yourself.

Our T5 was installed by just two guys, pros who do nothing but installs. They struggled, and were really glad when it was done. Bet they were glad I didn't get the T6 :)

DNF, you asked about getting the dolly wheels up on the raised tile hearth.
Here's how it works.

With the stove suspended by the winch, roll the dolly up to the raised hearth.
Lower the stove to the wood floor, so all the weight is off the dolly.
Lift the dolly's front wheels up on to the tile hearth.
Raise the stove with the winch.
Roll the dolly forward until the rear wheels approach the hearth.
Lower the stove onto the hearth, so all weight is off the dolly.
Raise the last two dolly wheels up on the the hearth.
Raise the stove with winch, and roll dolly into final position.

The same technique gets you across raised thresholds and other minor obstacles.

This works because there is extra room inside the dolly frame, to allow several inches of movement relative to the wood stove.

If you in fact have 4 people to help you with the heavy lifting, I bet that would work too. I didn't have access to that kind of manpower, hence the dolly approach. Good luck!

Thanks for that. You splain it and it all makes sense.
Will see if I can round up the man power, install is on the 12th or something like that.

cheers

Or you could drop the stove beside the raised hearth and then raise the crane up on blocking (leftover 2x6) beneath its wheels the same height as the hearth. Then lift and roll on.

What county requires lag bolts and grounding? Is this a mobile? The stove seems to big for a mobile. Also, which county is doing a buy back? I had heard something about a proposal in the Pierce county/tacoma area. It looks like pine trees in the background and either a clearcut or a wheat field way in the back. Are you in eastern WA?

The final install looks great.

Hello Hibeam.

You are correct about the 2x6 blocking suggestion; I actually did some of that too.

The lag bolts and grounding came into play because our structure was originally a mobile home (though it has two stick-built additions). Thus, here in Yakima County one must get a permit from Labor & Industries.

The buyback program is in some parts of Yakima County, where air quality is a bigger problem. While we live far from town, the prevailing winds head there and thus the concern about our emissions. The specific buyback program that we qualified for paid only $200; in some instances the payments have been higher (or lower). It seems to depend on what financing (sometimes derived from fines received from polluters) DOE has on hand.

You asked if the Alderlea T6 would be too large for our home. We're at about 2,600 square feet of heated living area. In designing the last addition, I put a 6" insulated air vent from behind the wood stove (up high), down to the crawl space, and then horizontal to the far end of the new livingroom. There's an in-line duct fan in the craw space, and I built an air filter and noise baffle at the intake. This helps distribute the heat; as does an in-wall pass-thru vent to another room, and a doorway fan that we use in extreme cold weather.

No, not Eastern Washington, more like south central. Its in the eastern foothills of the Cascades, bordering state forest and then the Douglas Wilderness. We get subzero temps, and plenty of snow, but there's plenty of timber on site for firewood.

Hmmm, the way you describe the location, I may have been in your backyard yesterday. I race off road motorcycles and on the dry Rimrock Lake bed the Yakima folks stage an 8 mile course of extremely fast and muddy terrain. This big event happened yesterday and I am still sore. Very nice area and I could see the snow already on the foothills during the race. I was looking for yellow tamarack but only saw the red vine maple which was real nice to look at.

The pierce county program seemed to vary the refund based on your current stove and location as well. I think it is a great idea so long as they collect and destroy the old stoves. No sense in rewarding your new EPA stove purchase and allowing you to sell your old stove to some guy down the road who will continue to burn it.

Hi everyone. I've been reading all the comments I can find regarding Alderlea. Thanks for all the great input. I am getting ready to order the T6. Sounds like it is going to be difficult getting it to the 2nd floor of our Lindahl Home. I'll have my husband read all these good ideas tonight. The decision of which size stove was difficult, but from all your comments it sounds like we can burn the T6 low and high if we need it. We didn't want to oversize, but also didn't want to not have the capability of lots of heat, if wanted for other rooms besides one it is installed in. I understand BeGreen was having the size question and went with T6. Are you happy with that decision?

No regrets so far. This will be our first full season with the stove.

Just curious, why not install on the 1st floor? It's a lot harder to get stove warmth to go down, then up.

I've helped build a lindahl home and there are of course many to choose from but the floors were stout with no TGI beams. The one we did was mostly bedrooms upstairs with the living area below. If this stove is meant to heat the whole house, I would agree with BG to get it on the lower floor. The chimney will be longer and the heat will certainly make it upstairs from below better than trying to make it heat the downstairs from above. Also, less hauling of messy wood up the stairs.

I've been trying to upload a picture of our Lindahl home, but every time I hit browse to locate picture, it bounces me out. I can scan and email if you want. Description of house: 3 story with first level having rec. room and 2 bedrooms & a bath. There is another module attached to main part with level 1 being the garage, 2nd story has living room with cathedral windows (prow front) , 2 bedroom & bath with kitchen/dining room being the upper floor module of garage. Kitchen/dining room is approx. 30 x 14W with 12' valted ceilings and has sky wall. The hardwood floor is commonly cold in kit/din rm with garage below it. The Greatroom (living room) on floor 2 has an enclosed loft that is the master suite (and level 3). We have propane fireplace in rec. room on 1st floor and Greatroom on 2nd floor. I would like to keep the propane and have both options. Our forced air heat is also propane. If I take the propane out of 1st floor I would have to come up with exhaust that goes above peak at top of cathedral ceilings. I'm guessing this would not be the same flue/box that is built outside for the propane and goes up to top of level two (I have pic showing this)? As we haven't used the rec room much and are on the 2nd floor mainly, I decided the wood stove should be on that level. If I had it on level 1 the heat would go up through the (enclosed) stairway, but enough to heat the 2nd level? Also, if we had the wood stove on level one, we would make that our living room instead of 2nd floor, but I still have the cold kitchen area. My husband's first choice was level 1, also. You guys think alike. So, level 1 isn't totally out of the question, but a matter of figuring out how to vent above the peak on roof.

Any ideas on why hitting browse to upload pics knocks me out?

Thanks - Kris

I've had that sort of trouble with pics too, Kris... had a terrible time trying to change my avatar recently. Your pics might be too large... try sizing them smaller and give it another shot.

Because your 3rd floor is a loft, will having a stove on the 2nd floor make the master bedroom a million degrees? Or is it completely enclosed so you can control this?

Usually this is an issue with either file or image size being too large. Have you read the info threads at the top of the forum?
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewannounce/27_2/

Let me know if there are still questions after reading this posting and the related threads. We'll get ya posting in no time.

PS: Maybe start a new thread with the pictures and questions?

Hi Kris, you asked about sizing, and the T6.

Replacing a wood stove is a lot of work -- moving out the old one, solving chimney problems, addressing hearth issues, the permitting process, then getting the new one it & chimneyed. We had to replace our old stove because it was too small; but I sure didn't want to mistakenly buy a new one which didn't handle the whole heating job. If we were going to make that kind of effort, it was only going to happen once, so early on I was leaning towards the larger T6.

The sole factor which would have dissuaded us from the larger T6 was the possibility of overheating. The local "distributor" didn't even floor any Pacific Energy stoves, and had no first hand experience to guide us. Instead, we relied on on-line information to make this leap of faith.

In retrospect I am very pleased with the sizing. The T6 can give us a slow burn, and hold a slow burn, so oversizing is just not an issue. We also enjoy the large glass door view.

The only downside I can think of is that it does take longer to heat up a cold stove, just because it is more massive. But, correspondingly, you benefit from the flywheel effect, and longer burns (so fewer re-starts from cold).

The loft is fully enclosed with part wall and part glass. The propane FP in GR heats up the loft wonderfully. I was thinking with the T6 in the kit/dining room that not all that much heat would make it to the GR and then up to loft. The entrance (doorway) to GR from Kit/din room is across from where I was thinking of putting stove on 2nd floor (outside wall of that module which is 10 feet from any of the peaks).

I'm looking into the pic issue now so hopefully I will have it figured out soon. Thanks again for your input(s).

Pondaroso - thanks for reply. Sounds like the same issues we have with afraid to go too big. Our total house is almost 3,000 sq. ft., but we didn't think we would be heating the whole house with wood as it is 3 floors. But, on the other hand, like you say - great expense and you want to have the option for "big" heat. I think it would be good having stove on 1st floor if I thought it would heat floor 2. And, if we could figure out the exhaust stuff. Either 1st or 2nd, it sounds like the Alderlea won't overheat the immediate room it is located in.

Status
Not open for further replies.