Freezing in the Northeast - Alderlea T6 vs F500 Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If they sell the T6, they’ll also sell the Summit. It’s the same firebox, minus the cast iron. It’ll fit a bit better.

Get your wood put up now! Get it dry!
They do, thank you! I am just so worried about more than half of the stove sitting in the the firebox itself rather than in the room. Should I not be concerned?

The blower blows warm air up high away from the stove. The box fan would be on the floor blowing cold air towards the floor creating a convection loop which works very well.

Also, to repeat what others are saying, the #1 most important factor in heating with wood is to have dry (under 20% MC) firewood. It's very rare that you can buy wood this dry. You generally need to be a year (or more with dense hardwoods) ahead on your wood supply. Get a moisture meter. They are less that 30 bucks.

Thank you. Do you have a link to your favourite model? I am happy togo ahead and order that immediately.

If they sell the T6, they’ll also sell the Summit. It’s the same firebox, minus the cast iron. It’ll fit a bit better.
Is the top exposed on the summit for cooking? I think it is and since he can't swing out the t6 top this would allow access for cooking and be cheaper. Same stove but without the cast iron panels buttoned on.

The heat pump system not working below 40 could be a combination of two reasons. It is old technology that just shuts off when temps get below 40. This is unfortunately how things were/are in the central heat pump market. The second is that any heat pump loses capacity as outdoor temperatures fall and at the same time the uninsulated house needs much more heat input as the outdoor temperatures fall. The heat pump would/could just be undersized for heating this place. This is a problem with the most modern equipment. If you size to provide 100% heat at the coldest times then it is way oversized the other 90% of the year and people whine about humidity.

Reactions: TChan4
Would a jotul f45 or f55 work in that space?
That would be a better choice for this installation. It's non-cat and can be rear-vented, to move the stove further out of the fireplace cavity. The short leg kit may be needed depending on the lintel height.
Short Leg Kit - #158209
This kit includes four, 4 1/4’’ (108 mm) steel legs and a Bottom Heat Shield which allow stove installation into a fireplace opening height as low as 27 1/4’’. Approved only for code-approved, masonry fireplace hearth mount installation.

Is the top exposed on the summit for cooking? I think it is and since he can't swing out the t6 top this would allow access for cooking and be cheaper. Same stove but without the cast iron panels buttoned on.
The top is fully exposed on the Summit LE for cooking. It's the Summit Classic LE version has a removable trivet on top. The rectangular trivet opening is only deep enough for an 8 or 9" pot or kettle. It's about 29" high at the flue collar and there is no short leg option.

Bare minimum you gotta get the attic insulated. All the heat will just rise up and out.

I just shopped these stoves. I purchased the T6 last week. If you can't cook on the stove I would look at the summit. Same stove without the cook top.

The basic Summit LE has a fully exposed stove top for a very large cooking area. It's the Summit LE Classic that has the trivet top. The Alderlea T6 has swing-away trivet tops for a much wider range of temperature control under the pot or pan.

Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 9.58.30 AM.png
Summit LE

Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 9.59.06 AM.png
Summit LE Classic

Reactions: GrammyPammy
The basic Summit LE has a fully exposed stove top for a very large cooking area. It's the Summit LE Classic that has the trivet top. The Alderlea T6 has swing-away trivet tops for a much wider range of temperature control under the pot or pan.

View attachment 314623
Summit LE

View attachment 314624
Summit LE Classic
Very true. Thanks for clarifying.