All natural firestarter products

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

inspecta83

Aug 24, 2015
new york
I have a VC Montpelier wood burning insert. I currently light newspaper or cardboard which in turn ignite the fire wood after about 20 secondsor so dependingon the size of the firewood, however Ive read that newspaper and cardboard may contain chemicals.

Any ideas on chemical free options I can use to ignite my firewood?

I have a VC Montpelier wood burning insert. I currently light newspaper or cardboard which in turn ignite the fire wood after about 20 secondsor so dependingon the size of the firewood, however Ive read that newspaper and cardboard may contain chemicals.

Any ideas on chemical free options I can use to ignite my firewood?
Newspapers switched to soy-based inks over a decade ago. It's fine. For cat stoves, it's still recommended to not burn glossy color inserts because they may contain metallic inks.

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
If you burn birch, clean up and save the bark - it is all you need. I always have a few big tupperwares full in my garage going into winter, and it will last the whole burning season.

A little propane torch...

Grass, leaves, small twigs, splitter waste, wood split small, bark, fungus, pine and spruce pitch... give me a bit and I'll think of more things that I've used to start fires in the woods.

Take a walk along a creek. Along the bank is a brush line at the high water mark. Whatever you find mixed into the bushes is great, dry material to start a fire.

Would you consider magnesium shavings natural?

paper towel dipped in used cooking oil.

If I have small amount of cardboard I want to get rid of, I will not use it to start fire. It smokes and the flaky ash smother fire on wood. I will put them at the bottom of my top down stack and light the fire with kindling from top. By the time the cardboard take off the secondary burn at top should be on. That should reduce smoke emission.

every fall i walk in a pine wood and collect super dry fallen branches. work great, and connects me to the forest.

Fat wood from the hardware store or harvested yourself.
And +1 on the birch bark if you have it in your woods.