All this talk of manly vs girlie-man cords and Wood IDs . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

I burn 18". How much of a cord here?

Attachments

• LoaderCord.gif
    LoaderCord.gif
    648.5 KB · Views: 618
Assuming 5 foot wide bucket: 5'widex3'highx1.5'round length=22.5 cubic feet. A little more than 1/6 of a real cord.

A cord by any other name is still a cord. Anything less than a cord that is called a cord is a lie.

1/5 cord after you split it and it dries.

If you stack 'face cords' you need three at 4 by 8 ft on the face to make a cord, or 3x4x8 = 96 square feet on the face. The wood in the bucket is stacked face cord style, and looks like about 5 ft by 3 ft or 15 square feet. 15/96 is about 6, so you have about 1/6 of a cord, maybe a little more after you split.

I don't know about cords but I'm thinking that's a bout 3 days of wood after you split it.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
I burn 18". How much of a cord here?
I say Forget about guessing how much wood you got there and let's see some pictures of your wife! :coolgrin:

Just getting you back ISee. ;-)

Carbon Lib-
Thats Janine Pirro. She is a judge on TV. What is the deal with that selection?

Ok, so I was just trying to demonstrate that we sometimes throw 'cord' around and our estimates, well, sometimes they suck :)

The loader bucket is 72" and the wood is stacked +2.5'. There are loose pieces in the belly of the bucket too.

6 X 2.5 X 1.5 / 128 = somewhere between 1/5 and 1/4 cord.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Ok, so I was just trying to demonstrate that we sometimes throw 'cord' around and our estimates, well, sometimes they suck :)

The loader bucket is 72" and the wood is stacked +2.5'. There are loose pieces in the belly of the bucket too.

add 10% for splitting it. and you are at (6x2.5x1.5)x1.10 = 24.75 / 128 = .1934 (~1/5)

Ok, how does the volume of wood change based on drying and/or splitting??

And NONE of that wood gets split. What you see is what the GW gets. :coolsmile:

Now, on the posting of the wife's pic . . . we talkin First or Second?

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Ok, how does the volume of wood change based on drying and/or splitting??
oh no, we aren't going there again. let's pretend I never wrote that.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Now, on the posting of the wife's pic . . . we talkin First or Second?

Whichever one is hottest looking of course :cheese:

That's called a "Bucket Cord". And what you've got there is exactly 1. Rick

Who cares about the wood. It swells when split and shrinks when dry. Wood is wood and a cord is 128 cu ft.

Tell us about the tractor.

A 'bucket cord'....BINGO that it.

Another good one was from the member that scrounged in his old reliable Ford Ranger...he called it a Ranger cord. LOL

No thats a loader cord in the mid-west. They are 22.5 cf. Although it depends on the size of the tractor. There are lawn tractor loader cords, garden tractor loader cords, sub-compact loader cords, etc.... ..... .....

Mine are Harbor-Freight-Trailer-Pulled-Behind-ATV cords. $25

Then there are "Jeep" cords. Its a little bigger than a bucket cord, but not as big as a Dodge cord.

Attachments

• jeep_sm.jpg
    jeep_sm.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 197
To quote my favorite poster on these forums:

How about @$$ cord. That’s half a face cord.
A toe cord- that’s as much as you can fit in your trunk.
How about a frinkle- that’s pi cords- almost enough for most burners to keep them through a winter.

Adios Pantalones said:
How about a frinkle-

Yeah, but if I remember right....My frinkle was bigger than your frinkle. ;-P

ISeeDeadBTUs said:

You forgot something:

The loader bucket is 72" and the Red Oak is stacked +2.5'
Am I correct?
One more thing, what do you need all that kindling for?

WoodButcher

Status
Not open for further replies.