Alternate heat shield VC Intrepid 1308

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Misteng

Nov 1, 2023
Central Wisconsin
Installing used/reconditioned VC 1308. Purchased for a great price and replaced refactory/catalyst and other inards..My jaw dropped when I went to purchase a heat shield..can't seem to find for under $250. As this is going in a detached wood shop I don't care too much about aesthetics. The stove will sit at 25" from the wall and surroundings. My question: are there any off brands or generics that I can get my hands on? I don't mind spending the cash if I have to, just thought I would ask. Thanks in advance for any advice!

If you can put up a basic wall shield on 1", non-combustible spacers behind the stove, that will reduce the rear clearance to 16" with single-wall pipe or 9" with a double-wall stove pipe connector. The shield can be sheet metal or a 3x5 sheet of cement board wood will work.

Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 5.32.58 PM.png

Airborne dust can ignite. For safety sake, have a good dust collection system running when the stove is burning and dont use any combustible volatiles without very good ventilation.