Alternate power for Harman Absolute43

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rarewolf

Oct 18, 2017
Newfoundland
We’ve just had the stove installed, and now that it’s working I want to next figure out what we’ll need when the power goes out. Forgive the long post but looking for experience with Harman computer controlled stoves.

We have a Honda generator wired into a number of household circuits including the pellet stove, but I’d like something in between for power outages suspected to be a couple of hours or less. The manual suggests (1) the Surefire 512 stove tender (essentially a 2 hour UPS if used with a high AH capacity deep cycle battery) which isn’t available in Canada (that I can find). However, the Tripplite APS750 or APS700 look like suitable replacements.

An alternative (2) would be to run the stove constantly and directly off an DC-to-AC inverter and power the inverter with a deep cycle 100AH battery being continuously charged by a battery maintainer. This alternative being $200 more expensive.

Running the new Harman Easy Touch controller off the generator bothers me a bit as the (1) alternative would simply pass the "modified" sine wave through with only surge protection, but the Honda generator does have a switch designed to keep the voltage from fluctuating.

The (2) alternative might offer better regulation and a "pure" sine wave, but I worry about constantly maintaining an expensive battery with a trickle charge that was designed to be deep cycled(?)

Should I worry about the stove's computer control when my computers, behind a UPS seem to work fine with my generator?

What have others used? Does anyone have experience with a similar stove and also use the Surefire Stove Tender?

TIA from Newfoundland :)

Just thought I’d let the forum know I found a suitable resolution from Aims Power. I went with their 600watt inverter/charger that I think is even better than the Harman recommended Surefire Stove Tender because of its pure sine wave...
http://www.aimscorp.net/600-Watt-Pure-Sine-Inverter-Charger-12V.html

If you need a bit more power their 1200watt I/V offers a simpler solution for less money...
http://www.aimscorp.net/1250-watt-low-frequency-pure-sine-inverter-charger-12-vdc-to-120-vac.html

I wanted one of their 100Ah batteries as well, but shipping it across the CA/US border wasn’t possible.

For a pure sine wave solution I thought their prices were very reasonable...

Edit: I should also mention that the 2nd alternative mentioned in my op is not viable. As advised by the battery charger manufacturer I queried, the charger/maintainer would be "confused" as to the appropriate charging current while the stove was on its load. The result would likely be a short-lived battery.

Last edited: