Alternative Starting Methods?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I wander if you could use a cordless drill with a socket to spin the flywheel nut? If it’d work you could just have a small access hole in the cover.

Reactions: pursang
Don't have a 462, but I do have a 460 Husqvarna that is also a easy starter.
I think I have you mixed up with another person. Dang it.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Here's a starter i got with an alcohol kart saw.It's an alternate starting method for a saw.
Pretty much a requirement for that saw

Attachments

• kart starter.jpg
    kart starter.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: duramaxman05
Here's a starter i got with an alcohol kart saw.It's an alternate starting method for a saw.
Pretty much a requirement for that saw
Are those pioneer saws? I saw some on another forum and had never heard of them before.

This one is a McCulloch frame with a 101 Kart engine in it.
Unfortunately for the saw the PO was a drunk and left it outside without coverings on the carb.
310.JPG

Like you tell a young kid on a dirt bike or a chainsaw, if you can’t start it you can’t run it!

Electric start generator, long cord, electric chainsaw. If you can’t start a saw then you won’t be working large logs so a little electric will do.
Great advice, tell me something, have you ridden with Bob Hannah?

I wander if you could use a cordless drill with a socket to spin the flywheel nut? If it’d work you could just have a small access hole in the cover.
Eventually I'll be using a cordless drill but the attachment point will be the pawl detents on the flywheel, if you used the nut on the MS260 it would come off.

Thanks to everyone for your input and suggestions, I've changed my mind on using a stationary starter motor and opted to mount the chainsaw in a receiver hitch mounted post vise, as I was pull starting my MS260 in the video due to my injury it hurt like hell ! so my decision to pick up an old used starter cover and modify it to use a cordless drill became even more obvious, the saw has been sitting in the truck for weeks now with cooler temps but still started pretty good.

ChainsawVise20.JPG

This one is a McCulloch frame with a 101 Kart engine in it.
Unfortunately for the saw the PO was a drunk and left it outside without coverings on the carb.View attachment 263971
Yeah, we are gonna need to see some videos of that beast in action.

Yeah, we are gonna need to see some videos of that beast in action.
I am looking forward to getting it running at some point.
It will require a bunch of $$ the cylinder/block needs to be bored out ,crank was rust pitted along with the con rod.
I got a McCulloch SP125 that is going to require some cylinder work as well so at some point i will be sending a few blocks to an expert to work over to get bored and fitted with pistons.
Being in Canada the cost will be in USD which you pretty much have to add 50 % to for CAD.

Depending on the size of the wood, I would recommend an electric chain saw if you aren't able to pull start it. I know the concept you are trying to achieve is possible. I had bought a Craftsman weed eater years ago and never paid attention to some of the features until my pull string broke. The last time I had a pull string break, it was a nightmare getting a new one to work properly. I noticed that on the back of the weedeater, it had a port to hook up a drill (with a separately purchased bit), so I tried it and wondered why I didn't use it from the beginning.

Reactions: pursang
How much hp do think a engine like that make? More than say, a ported 395xp could make at around 9?
Quite a bit more power than a ported 395
A saw like this is what the hardcore racers used.Not an everyday kind of saw.
Even in stock form a 125 will kick a ported 395's carb and take it's lunch money

Quite a bit more power than a ported 395
A saw like this is what the hardcore racers used.Not an everyday kind of saw.
Even in stock form a 125 will kick a ported 395's carb and take it's lunch money
bahaha I bet! After I thought about it I thought if it’s powering a golf cart with a person in it it must be kicki g out some power but then again I’ve seen some old 3-4hp carts when I was kid. They have a lumberjack show up here that I should go to sometime to see them use their built up racing saws. Plus the log rolling and pole climbing etc.

Depending on the size of the wood, I would recommend an electric chain saw if you aren't able to pull start it. I know the concept you are trying to achieve is possible. I had bought a Craftsman weed eater years ago and never paid attention to some of the features until my pull string broke. The last time I had a pull string break, it was a nightmare getting a new one to work properly. I noticed that on the back of the weedeater, it had a port to hook up a drill (with a separately purchased bit), so I tried it and wondered why I didn't use it from the beginning.
Some of the new cordless chainsaws are impressive but I love my MS260 and really have no problem using it, it's just the pull starting that gives me issues, I'm picking up a cordless brushless ½" drill and when I find an old starter cover to modify I'll use that for starting it. it should be pretty effortless and I can also use for starting my lawn mower.

Reactions: WiscWoody