Always a way to learn and chance to improve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

91220da

Nov 21, 2008
Pocono's Pennsylvania
Just had a hydronic engineer inspect my system over the weekend. Finally checked the draft and set up a manometer. Measured and calculated all of my pipeing and fittings. Found out that I have 12.1 gpm flowing through the greenwood loop but only 8.77 gpm through my secondary on the New Yorker. We determined that I would either have to upsize the pipeing on the new yorker or change the 007 circulator to a 0011. I will be changing the pump and that will take me to 11.4 gpm in that loop. So I don't break forum rules PM me if you want more info about the engineer and his services. Great guy worth the call. System was working fine but I wanted to know all the specifics and now I am looking forward to an improvement.

Measured and calculated all of my pipeing and fittings.

Good, accurate data is always useful. Looks like the change will serve you well. I'm no engineer, but I have done lots of research to get accurate info in several areas, one of which is determining pump head and selecting an appropriate circulator. My guestimate is that calculations from accurately measuring pipe, determining equivalent pipe length from fittings, etc., and then using a pump curve chart can probably on average get you +/- 10% of actual, which should be good enough for almost everything. I really like the circulator flanges with the tappings for insertion of a pressure gauge, or whatever. Determining differential pressure can be more accurate to determine pump head and flow. A flowmeter would even be better, which I have used, because it bypasses the pump curve chart which also has tolerances to actual. The wrinkle with the flowmeter is that it introduces head, and while it is accurate in determining flow with the meter in place, you will have to recalculate if you remove the meter due to the reduced head.

91220da said:
I will be changing the pump and that will take me to 11.4 gpm in that loop. System was working fine but I wanted to know all the specifics and now I am looking forward to an improvement.
Don't keep us in suspense, what kind of improvement? How will you know that there was an improvement?

You can use clamp-on flow meters. Non-invasive. They have a display readout. Very accurate and they get calibrated every 2 years
We have a 1" and 3/4" model for copper piping that are only used a couple of times a year during testing and R&D
We also have a 1" for metal pipe. No visual readout, you need a datalogger
If you want to rent or lease them send me a private message.
We can work out a deal.
I'm not looking on making a killing on it, just want to keep them from collecting dust
http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=FDT-30_Series&ttID=FDT-30_Series&Nav;=

How will you know that there was an improvement?

Before you make the change, put temperature probes on the supply and return and determine btu's from the flow at 8.77 gpm with the 007, and then do the same with the 011 at 11.4 gpm. That will give you info on the extent of success from the improvement you are making. As you likely already know, btu = delta-T x 500 x gpm.

Thanks for the tips and support guys. Planning on following Jebatty's lead with the temp probes. Plumbing supply house is closed today may have a chance to switch pumps over the weekend. I will let you know. Have a happy Thanksgiving!

Installed the 0011 and instantly heard an increase in water flow. Warm day so I will have to monitor and update the results but at the time I witnessed 179 in and 164 out. The differential was immediately more than I have recorded in the past. Today was a high of 68. I was deer hunting in a T shirt for the first time ever. Will keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.