Am I get fleeced on a vintage Vermont Casting Resolute (1980)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rstove

Feb 10, 2021
Portland, Maine
Hi there! New wood stove buyer, and came across what (seems) like a good deal. However, I know that I don't know much about any of this, and was hoping for guidance. Pictures attached:
1612976891006.png1612976905664.png1612976921555.png1612976939871.png1612976983710.png1612977011020.png

It was a nice small stove in its day, but there are wearing parts that must be kept up to date given the age of this stove. They often are not maintained well so proceed with caution. A typical issue is warping of the bypass plate or the bypass shaft.

this stove is roached. i would not touch it, except to part it out. winter is coming to an end, i would do a lot more research into your needs, set-up, budget, etc. there will be a lot of used stoves coming onto the market in the spring and summer.

You can do better. If you are new to stoves, just realize that the installation cost is equal or more than they cost for a brand new stove. That does not change with a used stove.

Stoves of this vintage seem to run in the $300 to $600 range in working shape. If in doubt its needs to be disassembled and resealed then any damaged components repaired or replaced. Given the the red finish is damaged on the back its likely that its probably it may not clean up well.

I wouldn`t buy that unless you're willing to fully disassemble it, repair everything that needs repairing and reseal, which will be a lot of time and tedious hard work, and parts will be expensive if you can find them. If you can get it for free and do the work yourself, it may be worth the effort, its a nice stove.