An older Lopi insert.... need help id'ing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 18, 2009
MB
Any takers on ID'ing this older Lopi insert?

Attachments

• Lopi Insert 001.jpg
    Lopi Insert 001.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 6,074
I put an ad on our local radio classifieds call in show stating that I am looking for an insert and this Lopi insert was the first call/email I received.

Unless the price he comes up with is spectacular it won't be an option for us to consider for our house.

If anyone out there within a 3 hour drive of Winnipeg or Brandon Manitoba knows of a not too ancient fireplace insert we are in the market but it has to be inexpensive..... I know.... I am likely dreaming.

That one might not be terrible if it's in good shape, but obviously it's not new or an EPA model.

This craigslist one might be, but it looks like a small unit. What are your heating needs with this unit? You might be able to get an inexpensive EPA insert through one of the hardware chains through Mail order etc.
http://grandforks.craigslist.org/app/2058191203.html

I am not so concerned about the sizing of the unit as I am the combination of cost and appearance.

Right now we have a small woodstove in the basement and we use the fireplace upstairs.

I have written about our wood heat struggles lots in my other posts but to give the reader's digest version we are constrained by purchase price combined with trying our hardest to maintain the largest possible fire viewing are while trying to not appear to "dated" with whatever insert we end up with.

I have emailed the craigslist poster to inquire about the unit. Thanks for the heads up on it.

tickbitty said:
Nice work digging that old thread of mine up Tick. Soon as I saw that photo Lowroad posted I said, hey, that's my shop stove! :)

LowRoad, that stove works ok for heating my shop because I'm only heating that place when I work in there, but it's definitely not an EPA stove. It seems well built but it's not very fuel efficient, and impossible to get long overnight burns. If you just wanted a woodstove for ambience then it might be ok if you can get it for cheap (read free). But if you are looking for something to heat the house I wouldn't settle for anything less than an EPA stove.

You are exactly right about not settling.

We are currently running a Drolet Jasper in our basement and it is not an EPA stove.

I do want to go epa with an insert but given that heating our house costs quite a lot even an old "smoke dragon" would be a significant improvement over an open fireplace.

Carbon Liberator - I have a fondness for Lopis and I always remember the attention you gave that one with the custom made elevated pad!

LowRoad, I'm not sure but that craigslist stove appears to be a Century insert that apparently sells for $750 or so new - might determine if you want to make the trip for it. If I am right and that's the same model, the manual and etc can be checked out though:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200442426_200442426?cm_ite=700249&cm_pla=Heaters, Stoves + Fireplaces>Wood Stoves&cm_cat=Shopzilla&cm_ven=Aggregates
http://www.northerntool.com/downloads/manuals/700249.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.