and then the power went out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
-33°C with no power for 2 1/2 hours. House temp held firm at 74° for over 2 hours but dropped to 72° near the end. I generally run the blower at these temps.

Wow, that's cold!
How's the efficiency on that unit? It looks like an airtight.
I looked at the RSF site, but couldn't find any efficency numbers?

I hung out in the hearth room so was tempted to shed my T-shirt. I don't know how hot it was in the hearth room but the house spiked up to 76° when the blower came back on.

Not sure on the efficiency. It must do a good job of heating the entire neighborhood cuz the chimney never needs cleaning.

LLigetfa said:
I hung out in the hearth room so was tempted to shed my T-shirt. I don't know how hot it was in the hearth room but the house spiked up to 76° when the blower came back on.

Not sure on the efficiency. It must do a good job of heating the entire neighborhood cuz the chimney never needs cleaning.

Do you have any pics of your system?

Happy for you that the power was not out for a longer period. For the newer guys, this shows one big benefit of having wood heat. Power goes out when temperature is below zero; you are still warm.

The Canadian members on this forum are not doing much for the tourism industry by constantly posting these hideously cold temps. :)

Man that is COLD! I'm thinking about power outage and I too could lose my blower on my insert. Wonder if I used the marine battery from my boat to power one of those small 12 volt to 120 volt invertors. As long as the invertor had enough output power to meet or exceed the blower it may work. But for how long? Need to do some calculations.

I'm not too worried about losing the blower. Dropping 2 degrees was no big deal. It was just a matter of one part of the house being warmer and another part colder. The blower helps to even it out and saves some heat from going up the flue. Had it been 10 degrees colder I would have been less comfortable.

Here is a local news article about the outage. http://fftimes.com/node/230147

Interestingly, a comment from the editor was:
“Thank God I’ve got wood heat,” Johnston remarked.
“The furnace won’t run without electricity even if it’s a gas furnace,” he noted. “A lot of them are electronic ignition.
“It’s cold, it’s cold,” he added. “I was running my wood stove full bore and was watching football, and I shut her down when I put some new wood in there because I didn’t want to get a chimney fire—birch bark takes off so quick and so hot.
“So I shut her down and forgot about it, and 15 minutes later, the temperature had dropped three degrees in the front room of the house. That’s how quick it goes down when it’s this cold.
His house dropped 3 degrees in just 15 minutes. I only dropped 2 degrees in 2 1/2 hours.

LLigetfa said:
-33°C with no power for 2 1/2 hours. House temp held firm at 74° for over 2 hours but dropped to 72° near the end. I generally run the blower at these temps.
why the outside temps in C and the inside temps in F? r u tryin to confuse me? LOL, so google tells me that is -27.4°F

BrowningBAR said:
The Canadian members on this forum are not doing much for the tourism industry by constantly posting these hideously cold temps. :)

Canada is a vast land of diverse weather ;-)

Canada has gone metric so the radio stations report temperatures in Celsius but the radio station doesn't report the temperature inside my house. We adopted the Celsius scale for outdoor temps to avoid confusion with the radio. Celsius is too coarse of a scale for regulated indoor temps so we stuck with Fahrenheit for that. When it gets down to -40 though it's all the same.

I have a convert program on my laptop that I use.
http://joshmadison.com/software/convert-for-windows/

Rather than draining your battery with an inverter why not just use a free standing 12v fan or perhaps a couple of computer fans? I realize its not as efficient as the one on the stove but a longer run time would be the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.