And then there was wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yinpin

Burning Hunk
Jul 25, 2016
Kingsville, MD
I have not been proactively looking for wood because of the heat this summer but I just started to keep an eye out for some scrounging opportunities. I will be moving much of my season wood closer to the house for winter staging and will have room to replenish the stacks.

We had a pretty short but wicked storm role through the other night and it brought down a large portion of my maple that provides most of the shade for the south side of the house. I am hoping I don't loose the tree! Anyway after three trailer fulls of taking the junk to the dump, I am left with a lot of rounds out of this unfortunate event.
61789909329__B03483A8-7C23-4ACA-B05F-8B360249E0D6.JPG

Then I noticed my neighbor had two trees brought down along the power lines by some company and he said I was welcome to it. One is a large pile of cherry with a ton of large cherry burls. It is pretty messy wood and not sure if it is all worth the effort. The second tree, I am not sure what it is but there are some sizable rounds to split. My son and I went over last night and took the choice pieces before they are snatched up (Right along the road),
IMG_9040.jpg

What is this?
IMG_9038.jpg

I am sure there are different species of maple. I got hold of a Nissan truck load of maple one time, and I could barely split it with my maul. I leave maple alone.

I am sure there are different species of maple. I got hold of a Nissan truck load of maple one time, and I could barely split it with my maul. I leave maple alone.
I will gladly take every piece of maple I can get my hands on.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
If you have sugar maple I will take it

I dont mind maple, not sure the variety of this one but it splits easy enough with the splitter. I am not sure what the second pile of wood is. I dont have a lathe but There are some sizeable ones in the pile, maybe I can find someone to do something with them. They are big and heavy though.

The third picture might be Box Elder, does it have reddish purple markings on the cut sides?

Nice score take it all once dry it will be great heat.

Reactions: D8Chumley
The third picture might be Box Elder, does it have reddish purple markings on the cut sides?
Exactly my thoughts too...the red fades quickly once exposed...so if those were cut a few days ago the red would be pretty light on the existing cuts...

Soft maple is rated at 17.5M BTU per cord, I take all the free maple I can get hard or soft and I just got a good sized soft maple thanks to the power company brushing the lines across the street. There’s also some cherry and lots of poplar if I want it but I have lots of wood now so a friends going to take the pop.

46815CDD-B902-4FE4-A82A-AAFA5608DE8D.jpeg