And yet another wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

larryjbjr

Jan 24, 2017
WI
Any ideas? Doesn’t feel very heavy so I think its softwood...

14d2bdb0c50e7abaa89dfccb1db39e57.jpg

167eac46cb8a010bb1660aa256d666b9.jpg

My guess is a paper birch. I have two of these trees on my property.

Another vote for paper/white birch, prevalent in this area. For heating purpose it is acceptable, about even with black cherry.

Definitely river birch (Betula nigra). http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/trees-shrubs/river-birch/index.html
Paper birch bark is pure white, while river birch bark varies from shades of papery salmon (sometimes almost white - Heritage®) to corn flake textured cinnamon, depending on variety and age of bark.
When I first scrounged some I thought that since it was a birch it would burn well. It burns OK, but because of its branching habit (multiple small epicormics) it is miserable to split by hand.
It's a common landscape planting, so often planted outside its native range (https://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_2/betula/nigra.htm).

River birchBetula nigra for sure guys. Bronze color to the bark along with characteristics flaking is a dead give away. It will burn fine, just like other birches. It’s no oak but the stove will like it just fine. Be careful, the bark will catch quick!

Birch. I've been fooled by color tones of pictures on the computer, but the bark looks more like white birch than yellow.

If yellow birch (a popular yard tree in my area), you'll know soon enough. It's the toughest wood I've ever tried to split. I had to split 1/3 cord of it for a neighbor, and no axe or maul did much to it.

I'm going with dog wood based solely on this thread's title. ;)

Reactions: TreePointer