Another bad batch of Turmans??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stillersnut

Sep 14, 2009
south central pa.
Just fired up my new 55-TRPAH for first time. I recently purchased some Turmans, so I loaded a couple pounds in hopper. I've never had a good experience with this pellet. The guy at the store, where I purchased them, said they had a bunch of complaints last year. I could not burn them in my Gnome, which was a pellet picky stove. These Turmans look good, smell good, but after an hr of burning on setting 5-6, just a warm air, temp reads 165 degrees on my prob, hottest reading I ever had was Hammers @ 360 degrees!! These Turmans aren't even shoulder season! Craigslist here I come....I'm done with Turmans forever!!!

WOW, I have never had a problem with Turman nor have I ever heard complaints. I wonder what is happening with them?

WOW, I have never had a problem with Turman nor have I ever heard complaints. I wonder what is happening with them?
I actually returned a ton 2 yrs ago, because of 3 inch long pellets & zero heat. I called Turman & they said they had some bad runs & to return them.

Just fired up my new 55-TRPAH for first time. I recently purchased some Turmans, so I loaded a couple pounds in hopper. I've never had a good experience with this pellet. The guy at the store, where I purchased them, said they had a bunch of complaints last year. I could not burn them in my Gnome, which was a pellet picky stove. These Turmans look good, smell good, but after an hr of burning on setting 5-6, just a warm air, temp reads 165 degrees on my prob, hottest reading I ever had was Hammers @ 360 degrees!! These Turmans aren't even shoulder season! Craigslist here I come....I'm done with Turmans forever!!!

You might need to get your new stove dialed in yet. Out of curiosity, what are you bottom 3 numbers set at and what is your vent configuration?

You might need to get your new stove dialed in yet. Out of curiosity, what are you bottom 3 numbers set at and what is your vent configuration?
Set up is out to clean out T, 3 foot vertical, 90 straight out wall. Not sure of my 3 #'s I only played w/ heat & blower speed buttons. I'm still learning this stove & really hope I can get her to burn these Turmans! I didn't think I was to play w/ bottom 3 buttons?

Set up is out to clean out T, 3 foot vertical, 90 straight out wall. Not sure of my 3 #'s I only played w/ heat & blower speed buttons. I'm still learning this stove & really hope I can get her to burn these Turmans! I didn't think I was to play w/ bottom 3 buttons?

Well I guess technically you're "not supposed to" but the reality is (at least for me and some other members) is they "may" need to be changed depending on the pellet your using. You would only make changes to the LFF and LBA....AOT always stays on 1 on our stoves.

Honestly, I'm not doubting you but it's hard to believe you have a pellet issue with those Turman's....but as we all know anything is possible!

How do you like the Pennwood's? I wish I could get them again, loved those too a few years ago.

Last edited:
I
Well I guess technically you're "not supposed to" but the reality is (at least for me and some other members) is they "may" need to be changed depending on the pellet your using. You would only make changes to the LFF and LBA....AOT always stays on 1 on our stoves.

Honestly, I'm not doubting you but it's hard to believe you have a pellet issue with those Turman's....but as we all know anything is possible!
I know it's crazy, I really want to love Turmans like most people! What does playing w/LFF & LBA do? Thanks for any advice/help. Just want to have her dialed in before my winter long burn.

I
I know it's crazy, I really want to love Turmans like most people! What does playing w/LFF & LBA do? Thanks for any advice/help. Just want to have her dialed in before my winter long burn.
Love Pennwood Pellets, real close to me. One of the best I've ever burned! Can't wait to burn them.

LFF is the amount of fuel that is dumped into the burnpot. It's a timing thing with the amount of time the auger is on and then off. LBA controls the amount of air going through the pot. This one might be a little more tricky as if it's set too high you're sending heat right out the vent. I believe my stove's factory setting is 1-4-1. I run it on 3-4 on the LFF and 4-5 on the LBA depending on the pellet I'm burning.

You might want to give Mike a call at Englander....he might be able to "dial" those Turmans right in.

Reactions: slvrblkk
I burned turmans a few years ago and had problems due to the length. They bridged in my hopper a few times and I had a few cold mornings as a result. Last year I burned some ok local pellets, but I finally broke down at the end of the season and got a ton of turmans for the heck of it. They burned great. Lots of heat and minimal ash. I plan on mostly burning turmans this season.

You might want to give Mike a call at Englander....he might be able to "dial" those Turmans right in.

I have burned Tulrmans exclusively ever since we installed our M55.
They burn great. Lots of heat and low ash.
However, it took a while to tune the stove in to them. But once dialed in, they burn well.
I still notice a variation between batches but as they are wood products, this has to be expected.

I have burned Tulrmans exclusively ever since we installed our M55.
They burn great. Lots of heat and low ash.
However, it took a while to tune the stove in to them. But once dialed in, they burn well.
I still notice a variation between batches but as they are wood products, this has to be expected.
I did notice a light white haze on glass after about an hour of burning. I only burned about 1/4 of a bag, for temps outside we're in 50's. I was impressed with my 55-TRPAH. Andy & Mike are a big help & great to deal with.

I did notice a light white haze on glass after about an hour of burning. I only burned about 1/4 of a bag, for temps outside we're in 50's. I was impressed with my 55-TRPAH. Andy & Mike are a big help & great to deal with.
Oh yeah here's a pic of the first burn

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 123
Status
Not open for further replies.