Another Dilemma - Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fishki

Jan 5, 2017
SE Kansas
For the last couple years I have had a few small trees start growing on the back side of my property, I was thinking of digging them up and replanting them elsewhere out in an open area.

Never paid much attention to them but now I'm trying to figure out what exactly they are, and
from everything I have found searching the internet I have come to the conclusion they might be ash..... hopefully I am wrong since I would like to save these.

Any thoughts?

IMG_3733.JPG IMG_3734.JPG IMG_3735.JPG IMG_3736.JPG IMG_3797.PNG IMG_3798.PNGIMG_3803.JPG

I would say beech but I'm no expert.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Leaning towards ash. Can u get a pic of bark?

Ash.

+1 ash

Could be black walnut too.

From the pictures provided, I'd say Ash.

Although the pictures present some similarities to trees of the walnut family (walnuts, hickories, pecans), the leaflets are too wide and too few for even a young black walnut. Also there are no shorter terminal leaflets, as seen on black walnuts.

Opposite (as opposed to alternate) branching should confirm ash.

More info in link: https://treedoctor.msu.edu/ash/ashtree_id

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful and fishki
Ash as mentioned already, has opposite branching habit. Also, walnuts will have a chambered pith (and they'll smell like walnut).
(+1 - it's ash)

Thanks for the input everyone, even tho they are ash I think I will transplant these and just treat them when I treat everything else for bugs. Maybe the borers will never find them.

Reactions: Soundchasm
If the branches are growing in pairs, one on each side, those are ash.

The leaves are opposite and compound, which indicates Ash. The leaves look pretty typical for Ash too. Good Luck.