Another Happy Ryobi Electric Splitter Owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm with wahoowad regarding doing both. this is still pretty new to me but i have to say if i had to get a lot done i have no doubt the splitter (even electric) will be more efficient to get more done in less time. when using a maul, the first log normally stands straight (not always!) but then every split after that you need to get to stand up straight is a challenge. then when you swing the splits go flying in different directions and you need to round them up to stack them or split them again. even if its just 10 seconds saved per split and i think its more, if its over a couple hours its going to add up.

ChrisN: If one wack does the round you are correct it is faster with a maul. Not shown in the video is being in sync with the tool.
these are new owners virgin attempts. They have not mastered the timing nor have the gaged the tool capabilities yet with time
With time and practice one can be in sync with your own abilities and the equipment. For example I can put you on my backhoe and video you opperating it
When I get on it my reactions would look like poetry in motion. No wasted motions thinking ahead every bucket,
maxium results within the operating time. I did not learn that in a 1/2 hour these splitter opperators will get better and economise time spent and routines
It is a little unfair to expect more on their virgin usage.

Now if you want to come out and video my splitting time and compare to your maul./ I'm game any time. I still do splitt with a maul.
My job I do not need anymore excersise I get enough. and I do have an ability with tools.

Party pooper let them enjoy their new toys there is nothing wrong with that.

I wrote up my experienced with them, to see it they are a viable alternative
Just like I reported about the Makita Electric chain saws. they can be an alternative and not usefull in all situation, remote in the woods is not an option.

Having decent light weight power, cutting within the tool's limits they work suprisingly well

If you lived closer you would be welcome to tryout my splitter and make you own evaluations. Two other forum, members already have.

elkimmeg said:
ChrisN: If one wack does the round you are correct it is faster with a maul. Not shown in the video is being in sync with the tool.
these are new owners virgin attempts. They have not mastered the timing nor have the gaged the tool capabilities yet with time
With time and practice one can be in sync with your own abilities and the equipment. For example I can put you on my backhoe and video you opperating it
When I get on it my reactions would look like poetry in motion. No wasted motions thinking ahead every bucket,
maxium results within the operating time. I did not learn that in a 1/2 hour these splitter opperators will get better and economise time spent and routines
It is a little unfair to expect more on their virgin usage.

Now if you want to come out and video my splitting time and compare to your maul./ I'm game any time. I still do splitt with a maul.
My job I do not need anymore excersise I get enough. and I do have an ability with tools.

I wrote up my experienced with them, to see it they are a viable alternative
Just like I reported about the Makita Electric chain saws. they can be an alternative and not usefull in all situation, remote in the woods is not an option.

Having decent light weight power, cutting within the tool's limits they work suprisingly well

If you lived closer you would be welcome to tryout my splitter and make you own evaluations. Two other forum, members already have.

Where do you live elk?

See, I knew I would come across as a sour-puss. >:-( I in no way mean to suggest that we all don't deserve our indulgences, heaven knows I have my own to deal with! I've used hydraulic splitters several times over the years, although never an electric one, and find them especially useful for large, like greater than 20 inches across, rounds. However, unless they have knots in them, or are contrary, like Elm, I still submit I can split faster than a 4 to 6 ton hydraulic splitter. By the way do those models accept a four way splitter attachment? If so that might make it a bit tougher for me to keep up. Of course after 30 minutes I will be ready for my beer break, I guess the machine would catch up while I lounged!

That would not be a pretty sight. Although one of the funnest things I've done in the last few years was when I rented a Bobcat for the weekend to do some landscaping After a morning of crashing into things, and coming perilously close to roll-overs several times, I was finally able to operate it without looking like I was DWIing. :lol:

ChrinN take my post witha little humor I was smilling when I typed it really was not to mean spirited

A 100 ft extension cord (or 2 @ 50ft) with a 15 amp draw at 120 volts =

12GA wire: voltage drop of 4.8% or 5.7 volts
ending with 114.1 volts :)

14Ga wire: voltage drop of 7.6% or 9.1 volts
ending with 110.9 volts :)

16GA wire: voltage drop of 12.2% or 14.6 volts
ending with 105.4 volts :long:

18GA wire: voltage drop of 19.3% or 23.1 volts
ending with 96.9 volts :gulp:

Contrary to some beliefs, size does matter :lol:

thats interesting information. like some others here, i've never really given this stuff much thought and its good to know.
i emailed those stats to my brother in law and if anyone cares this is what he emailed back...
the NEC, states NOT TO EXCEED 5 % of voltage drop for
example. 120v X 5 % = 114 v like that first example
using a 12ga. cord. this will provide reasonable
effeciency of operation .. as the drop increases so
does the amperage,, as the motor tries to run,
eventually the motor bogs down then the breaker trips
and saves the motor , if the breaker never trips the
motor will burn out, the cord will also get hot and
could even start to burn

I tried to send paulgp602 a PM but the system said it could not be delivered. My Ryobi stopped making the noise when I made sure it was perfectly level, but the ram head still stops at the same spot. It stops about 8 inches from the splitting wedge. It seems as if the unit has a limit switch given how precisely it stops at the same spot. I checked my fluid level and it is good, and I am using a short 12 guage extension cord. . I just wanted to see if this happens with other Ryobi's. I've split about 3/4 a cord with it so far. Still very sweet and fun.

Sadly, I've run out of wood! Everything I am processing is for next season and I think I have enough. Although....today I noticed a dead oak still standing and it is about 12" diameter....

That seems to be the story with the unit I bought from Harbor Freight.
I split some of the live (green) hemlock that blew down today.
The splitter got through most, but did max out on some and return. Repositioning helped that.
I tried two ~10" diameter pieces on the splitter and the maul.
The maul was faster, but darn if that crick in the neck didn't start up again. :)

When I was younger and landscraping for a living, firewood splitting & delivery was all we had to work thorough the winter. My boss was a dealer for Super Split log splitters. These were gas motor powered mechanical ram splitters. Fastest thing you ever seen. The only downfall is they are expensive. Start at like just under 1k I think maybe up to the 3,500.00 mark.But there was no waiting, had a T bar which engaged a pinion gear to a toothed ram bar. As soon as the spitting occured just let the handle go and ram came back bam. I wish I could afford one of those. Not knocking hydraulic splitters, but this thing blew anything else away. I would split several cords a day with ease.
I am not advertising them, have nothing to do with them. I just wish I had that thing these days.
Found a link to the site, gives a description of what it is and how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.