Another heating season is upon us

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WiscWoody

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2011
Winter WI
Well here comes the cool weather of fall, we had frost this morning, about right on schedule for us here in the northern climes and tonight they say we will be down to 26 by morning so I put away the pressure washer for winter and ive had a few small fires in the stove, something that takes a little sting out of the thought that we are in for another long cold winter lol. Anyone else fired up their stoves too?

I'm glad that is not the case here in Puget Sound, yet.

I lit one fire a couple weeks ago just because I could, I even covered the AC unit for winter that same day.

It's been unseasonably hot here the last few months, at 10:30 last night I had to pull the cover off the AC unit and turn it back on because we were boiling in the house.

The way the weather is looking I might be able to light a fire after the 5th, but otherwise we are very much still in the tail end of summer.

Well here comes the cool weather of fall, we had frost this morning, about right on schedule for us here in the northern climes and tonight they say we will be down to 26 by morning so I put away the pressure washer for winter and ive had a few small fires in the stove, something that takes a little sting out of the thought that we are in for another long cold winter lol. Anyone else fired up their stoves too?
We've had some nights in the high 20's and days pushing 70, this weekend will be another warm one so we won't need very much heat.

We're only burning pine since we started so that saves on burning any hardwood. Later in December and the month of January can take a toll on your better hardwood in inventory since that can be the coldest time of year in our area so this warmer weather is just fine.

The long rage NOAA winter forecast looks like you folks in the upper midwest are going to get nailed again, cold and snow. East coast looks warmer and wetter. My area in northern New England looks like a normal winter, but not as many snow dumps as the big ones usually come up the coast and when its warm it doesnt come inland as much.

Last edited:
I think that (for your area) is the wrong interpretation of the forecast.

It does NOT say it's going to be a normal winter. It says the probability of having a warmer winter is the same as the probability of having a colder winter than average. And the same for snow.

They do not say at all that it'll be normal as that would depend on the magnitude of the probabilities.

This point is made in nearly all communication with such maps.

The long rage NOAA winter forecast looks like you folks in the upper midwest are going to get nailed again, cold and snow. East coast looks warmer and wetter. My area in northern New England looks like a normal winter, but not as many snow dumps as the big ones usually come up the coast and when its warm it doesnt come inland as much.

And as predicted, someone flipped the switch on October 21st. We went from 10+ degrees above normal for all of October, to now about 10º below. Temps are now in the mid-40s at night. I am holding out on starting a fire until November 1 or when the daytime temp drops down to the mid-40s this year as an experiment to see how the cost of running only on the heat pump is. Our firewood costs have risen hugely since I am no longer scrounging very much. I suspect the heat pump will be a lot less expensive until that point and certainly a lot cleaner.

Been burning evening fires since Oct.1, as is usual here, although our first mornings below freezing were at least two or three weeks early this year. I'm still less than a half cord in so far this year, though.

Used the minisplit a number of times. Not today. Looked at the forecast and it'll be November before there is a chance for a fire... The stove pipe is still laying behind the stove, thimble and stove collar capped, damprid inside. Boring.

Reactions: EbS-P
Warmer and wetter would be nice. 🙂

I have a new vehicle and thinking of not buying dedicated winter wheels and tires this time. Have been buying winter wheels and tires since we moved to New England 20 years ago. Want to use up the OE A/S tires and get a better A/S tire. Don't drive as much in winter as I used to.

Latest 3 month temp forecast.

1666523141686.gif

And all the other data.

On the first day of fall, season changed like a switch. I would kick on the stove in the evening after work and shut it off for the night. The past week we had 50+ mph winds, power outages, and snow in places. Temps in the 30s and 40s before wind chill, and I had the stove running in the evening and at night. Turned it off while at work, was easy enough to get the house back up to temp. Lowest it got in the house was 58F during the day. That insulation I put in the attic this spring seems to have helped, along with new door and window seals.

Now the last 2 days we hit 70F, one last little shot of summer. I did a good wash and wax and vacuum on my summer show car and probably won’t be driving it anymore this year.

E4386722-9073-499E-ACAB-49B63099BFDA.jpeg

My Jeep won’t be done for awhile because I don’t wanna just throw it together, I wanna do a good job on it. So I took out my Tracker, and drove it most of last week, and will once it starts snowing again.

I realize that the chart is a probability chart but my personal observations of weather conditions since I built my house in 1987 have definitely changed over the years. Weather patterns have definitely shifted, over the long run, overall snow totals have trended down and winter temp trends have gone up. What I have seen of late is that more weather is coming up from the coast and running into the local mountains, so my house gets less snow. When the weather was coming from the west I tended to get more snow as the weather hit the local mountains and dumped down snow before heading up and over the mountain.

Reactions: stoveliker