Another installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
After everyones advice I purchased a Simpson Dura-Vent 3PVP-AIK. It did not come with instructions. It seems straight forward but it comes with an angled plate Does that go over the vent?

Any thoughts on the location of the OAK? under the vent was my thought.

Also this being a used stove I would like to do a thorough cleaning. I figured it would be best to do so before it is fully installed. So I have no clue how to deep clean a englander PDVC-25. Any one have any guides or tips?

Thanks

dhungy said:
After everyones advice I purchased a Simpson Dura-Vent 3PVP-AIK. It did not come with instructions. It seems straight forward but it comes with an angled plate Does that go over the vent?

Yes, That acts like a wind block

Any thoughts on the location of the OAK? under the vent was my thought.

Yes under is best, Hot vent gasses rise. But stay above the ground as much as possible or you will be cleaning it in snow storms.

Also this being a used stove I would like to do a thorough cleaning. I figured it would be best to do so before it is fully installed. So I have no clue how to deep clean a englander PDVC-25. Any one have any guides or tips?

I don't have much Englander experience. But do it outside before you drag it into the house.
Thanks

Liar1_97 said:
Here is a link to England's Stove Works.....you should be able to find the info that you are looking for. For starters you will probably need to order new gaskets and during your installation you can do a thorough cleaning while you are at it.... http://www.englandsstoveworks.com/PelletServicing.html

I agree w/ Liar1_97....get new gaskets. If the stove is in need of more than just motor gaskets, you might consider a "Gasket Kit" that Englander sells. Includes both blower motor gaskets, plus glass gasket, hopper lid gasket, burn pot gasket, etc, etc and is on sale right now for about $58.

www.englanderstoves.com/store/25-PDVC_Parts.html

The stove is 5 years old. The guy assured me it was used very lightly. He lived with his brother renting the downstairs. He said he was working so much and wasn't home much so he rarely fired it up. I was hoping to get another season with it before new gaskets, but I realize you giuys are right a good cleaning and new gaskets will go along ways to having a stress free season. I ordered the gasket kit tonight... thanks

I don't have much Englander experience. But do it outside before you drag it into the house.
Thanks[/quote][/quote]

To late its on the pad ready to install right now... sheesh

Is it best to clean and gasket before installing it?

I would clean it before the install so that you can debug any running issues without that being a cause. Just follow the video to clean it, get her installed and see how you make out. I would not bother with the gaskets unless they seem really worn out. Post some pics if not sure.

I have the same model and am not far from you if you are in NY. Go ahead and PM me and we can speak offline if you need someone local who owns the same model.

dac122 said:
.....I would not bother with the gaskets unless they seem really worn out......

Since a proper cleaning (especially of a USED stove) should always include removing & scraping/wire brushing the exhaust blower vanes, it is almost a certainty that the gasket will rip. I removed mine VERY carefully, even to the point of trying to slide a very sharp, thin pen knife blade behind the gasket to separate it from the housing w/o it ripping, but in the end, it ripped anyway....they are pretty fragile.

The gasket kit is pretty inexpensive (it's on sale plus free shipping), so the peace of mind having new gaskets wherever they seem to be in poor shape would be worth it to me.

Don't forget to to the dollar bill test on the door gasket too.....

I did order the gasket kit. What video are you referring to? there is a hot to video on cleaning?

I couldn't get through on the phone so I dropped them an e-mail

smwilliamson said:
On the second page of their website under the "Free Tech Help" tab, click it and they will send someone out from Tenn. to clean the stove for ya.
Now THAT'S good service.....

So my order shipped out before they could stick the dvd in there... now I have to order and pay for shipping... $12.50 ofr a dvd how heavy is this darn thing...

If you go to the Englander site you should be able to find any of the manuals you need. They include cleaning directions. I watched the video I got, but the manual is just as clear on what to do. Sounds like I should go into selling copies of my dvd. I could ship it and sell it and still not charge $12.50! LOL Just kidding... I think it's copyrighted, so Englander could sue me for infringement. :-S

Status
Not open for further replies.