Another newbie OAK question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikkeeh

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2011
NE Ohio
I apologize as Im sure this has been discussed before....but after alot of searching...I havent found it. Okay.....I installed my new Harman P43 a few months ago. I have a 1300sqft ranch with a big open stairway to the basement. Just finished an OAK install. Used 3" aluminum vent....a really short run of about 3 feet. Seems to work good. Did a power failure simulation running full blast......No smoke in the house. My question is ....Do you guys normally insulate the oak pipe? Seems like it would help prevent condensation.....and radiation of alot of cold air. Thx in advance for the advise!

Most don'
t insulate unless there is a condensation problem, but doing it to eliminate the cold from cooling the air around it indoors would be a good idea, and can't hurt, IMO.

I haven't insulated mine yet, but I plan to for sure. It's 14F outside today so very cool air coming in, and there's slight condensation forming on the intake. It sure wouldn't hurt to insulate, it will cost next to nothing.

Heat flow is always warm to cold. So it is the heat going from the warm air in the house to the cold air through the OAK sides that removes heat from the room.

I do not insulate my OAK run and allow the condensation (there is very little) to hit the hearth and evaporate. If what the water was going to hit couldn't handle it then I would insulate it.

The amount of condensation will vary depending upon the amount of moisture in each house's air.

Mine is run ~10' in 4" pipe. I started insulating when I installed it. What I didn't insullate got real cold. So I had to insullate the rest.
The sooner you do it - the better.

My OAK is only 2' long. It does get condensation & frost in single digits & below temps. Last year I insulated it and during a really cold snap (below 0) the stove shut down. After a few minutes of head scratching I wondered if the temps going into the stove from such a short OAK might be the problem. I removed the insulation, pointed a floor heater at the OAK (which was covered with ice/frost) and after 10-15 minutes the stove fired back up. I now lay a folded towel beneath the OAK to catch a drop or 2 of occasional condensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.