Another One-- wut dat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacktheknife

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2012
Lakota, Iowa
Just got a few pieces, but was heavier than I had expected.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Dude you paint your toenails?:p

Need a split pic on that but my initial guess is a fast-growing White Ash....yard tree?

yeah but they're Chevy orange:)

That stuff(bark anyways) looks like some odd oak I have around here - I'd have to go find some leaves to nail it down, but it doesn't look like oak on the end grain

Dude you paint your toenails?:p
He's a stud, though. He stacks in flip-flops; Can you imagine the pain he has to overcome when he drops a big round on his foot, or misses with the maul?

Need a split pic on that but my initial guess is a fast-growing White Ash....yard tree?

Local dump tree. Going to split once the heat breaks.

yeah but they're Chevy orange:)

That stuff(bark anyways) looks like some odd oak I have around here - I'd have to go find some leaves to nail it down, but it doesn't look like oak on the end grain

First thing I did was check for rays. Also, I think you might be colorblind.

He's a stud, though. He stacks in flip-flops; Can you imagine the pain he has to overcome when he drops a big round on his foot?
If I remember correctly he or his wife has already broken a foot:rolleyes:

He's a stud, though. He stacks in flip-flops; Can you imagine the pain he has to overcome when he drops a big round on his foot, or misses with the maul?

Wasn't stacking, was out in the garden and thought I would snap a pick of the stuff I brought home the other night.

Reactions: basod
If I remember correctly he or his wife has already broken a foot:rolleyes:

Yeah, I had a broken foot, she thought she broke hers a couple weeks later. Flip flops weren't involved with either of those.

Reactions: basod
Being from a tree dump could be any odd ball cultivar - actually thought dogwood but its usually got a pink hue to the wood - might have been the Chevy red toenails throwing the digital camera off:)

Being from a tree dump could be any odd ball cultivar - actually thought dogwood but its usually got a pink hue to the wood - might have been the Chevy red toenails throwing the digital camera off:)

Doesn't seem pink.

Looks like Linden

That's basswood right? Does that have a ton of water weight to it?

Just saw the leaf. I agree with Scotty, Maple.

Oh crap, didn't realize that leaf was in the picture. I have the wood parked under the silver maple we are taking down this fall, must be on of its leaves .

Just saw the leaf. I agree with Scotty, Maple.
I did not see any leaf(beer thirty) and had to reopen the pic - thanks for clearing this up

You always seem to turn out to be right, Scotty. Isn't it good, Norwegian wood? BTU 26.4
Norway is a lot like sugar maple as far as burn characteristics.....not quite as high of BTU's, but still up there better than silver or red maple....

Good firewood, nonetheless. I take it whenever I can get it.....

Reactions: Thistle
Norway is a lot like sugar maple as far as burn characteristics.....not quite as high of BTU's, but still up there better than silver or red maple....

Good firewood, nonetheless. I take it whenever I can get it.....
Never burned any but I've got a small one to take out at my SIL's new house. Another new wood to try! ::-)

Reactions: ScotO
Never burned any but I've got a small one to take out at my SIL's new house. Another new wood to try! ::-)
I love that stuff, woody. I usually get a couple every year (they are a weed tree 'round here, they grow virtually everywhere, in the ditches, along foundations, etc.....)

Is that small leaf in the third picture attached to the wood? That leaf isn't Norway Maple, it looks more like Silver Maple. However, I think the bark looks like Norway Maple so I'll ignore the leaf, and assume the leaf is from another tree and is just resting there.

Is that small leaf in the third picture attached to the wood? That leaf isn't Norway Maple, it looks more like Silver Maple. However, I think the bark looks like Norway Maple so I'll ignore the leaf, and assume the leaf is from another tree and is just resting there.

Yeah, like I said earlier I didn't realize that a leaf from my silver maple had fallen onto one of the pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.