Another piece in the puzzle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lloyd the redneck

Feeling the Heat
Dec 6, 2016
Western mn
Picked this bad boy up a few weeks go from a neighbor who bought it new. True one owner. Hadn't been used since 98 so it needs help. Finally got the power unleashed today ! Going to be using it to collect trees and haul gravel. Among other things. d88d46bd078bc1a2a7fba94b1dc2f983.jpg

You gonna fill that with wood by hand? lol If not you are going to need a bobcat now...

Noice!

Put a lift tailgate on it and you will be all set.

I think the coolest part is the "red river tandem". A true 1970 tag axle. Goes up and down with a great big handle and you have to raise the box in Order for it to work. It's slick. 1960 ih now put back to work !

I got a whopping .8 mpg on my first run. Now I'm up in the 4 category. Haha. A while back I was looking at gasification units to run a genset

Haha I had that too on a 1964 Impala I bought. On her first outing she got about 0.5mpg. Liquid gas dripping out of the tailpipe.

When I took the carb off, the float arm was there, but the black carb float was just missing.

I know it was black because I found 100,000 little crumbs of it.... amazing how many little passages a humble carburator has.

;sick

There's actually some guys on youtube who have modern pickups running on wood gas too. Some of their setups look pretty slick. Your big green machine made me think of that old norwegian dude and his big green machine, though. :)

Reactions: Lloyd the redneck
Haha I had that too on a 1964 Impala I bought. On her first outing she got about 0.5mpg. Liquid gas dripping out of the tailpipe.

When I took the carb off, the float arm was there, but the black carb float was just missing.

I know it was black because I found 100,000 little crumbs of it.... amazing how many little passages a humble carburator has.

;sick

There's actually some guys on youtube who have modern pickups running on wood gas too. Some of their setups look pretty slick. Your big green machine made me think of that old norwegian dude and his big green machine, though. :)

Luckily only a 2 barrel Holley on this baby , the gasification thing would work for this , I don't plan to ever be more than 6 miles from home base. If I could do some learnin and put some sort of storage tank on it

I would think that the most practical thing if you actually wanted to use wood gas would be to do what the biogas farmers do. They convert everything to gas, have one big gas production plant (which a lot simpler if you're making methane from manure than if you're making woodgas from wood), and compress and tank the gas. I was reading a forum where some John Deere owners were up in arms and buying cracked Ukranian JD tractor firmware because JD locked them out of the settings they needed to run methane on their equipment.

I doubt there's a lot of people doing that, but it is pretty cool to see that it is being done.

I am all for that breaking into software. It is insane to have to go to a dealer for repairs. And like you say breaking in to run alternative fuels. I have a few manure producing animals. I'll have to look into that.

wasn't just to run alternative fuels but just to do any flipping service work involving the power plant. Gm already lost that scam in the courts. "we own the software you do not even after purchasing the unit." same thing JD is pulling, once the word is out loud enough their market share will be toast. No one I know wants a 100k+ tractor that if it goes down can't be repaired unless trucked to a dealership or wait several days / weeks for the dealership to come to it. That kind of thing didn't fly 25 years ago when I was on the road doing service work- nothing changed since then.

Reactions: Lloyd the redneck
I agree completely. I am surrounded by production ag and my neighbors ask me all the time to take off there emissions controls. Because it's a nightmare and power robbing. One of the main reasons I collect old equipment is to avoid the computer. I understand them and am trained but they are so gall darn expensive. One of my college buddies does wire harness replacements to the tune of atleast 3 a week. And they treat it as a wear item. Just like changing oil. Who's going to be manufacturing harness in 20 years ? Nobody