Another question about Ashford Blaze King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
Has anyone had to remove the top of the stove so you can cook on it? Is that difficult? For emergencies and power outages? Thanks

i would think that firing up a gas bbq grill would be easier than taking the top of a stove of for cooking on in a power outage

i would think that firing up a gas bbq grill would be easier than taking the top of a stove of for cooking on in a power outage

I agree. People get all worked up about cooking on their stoves when in reality it is not a likely scenario.

BBQ, generator, camp stove, rv, eat something cold. In a long term outage the stove will make heat which is pretty great.

Good point

I agree. People get all worked up about cooking on their stoves when in reality it is not a likely scenario.

BBQ, generator, camp stove, rv, eat something cold. In a long term outage the stove will make heat which is pretty great.
Thanks guys. Always nice to hear another prospective. Appreciate your time as I sit through another blizzard.

I’ve had the top off mine, not for cooking but to adjust the door gasket. Very simple pull cat probe lift top off, it’s a little heavy but not terrible.

Reactions: Highbeam
I think I’ve cooked something on my stove 1 time in the 9 seasons I’ve burned wood for heat purposes. It would not be a deciding factor in my stove purchase.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
How long do the combustors last on the Ashford stove? I am currently burning 6 to 7 months out of the year with my non-cat. I burn oak, red elm, cherry,maple, walnut and some pine. How long can a combustor last burning with this heavy usage? Thanks

How long do the combustors last on the Ashford stove? I am currently burning 6 to 7 months out of the year with my non-cat. I burn oak, red elm, cherry,maple, walnut and some pine. How long can a combustor last burning with this heavy usage? Thanks

You're going to get at least 2.5 seasons/years out of your combustor .At that point, you can file a warranty claim for a second one . Keep your door gasket tight from day one- have some break in fires and tighten the latch each time as the door gasket compresses. Oh yes, get the blowers- with your basement install, even if you keep blower on low, it really helps.

If you are concerned about power outages, propane is nice. I got a big tank for the house, and I run the kitchen stove and generator off of it. May plumb in a permanent BBQ grill one of these days, too. The kitchen stove doesn't use much propane.

Heavy usage? Nah, some of us burn 9 months of the year or 50% more. Cat life expectancy is rated by the cat manufacturer at 10-12 thousand hours. That’s “active” time whether the stove is running low or high. I personally have worn out just two cats in my princess and can confirm the 10-12k life expectancy. It’s not just bk but Woodstock too, the combustor technology is consistent.

Warranty is an odd issue. I would not be surprised if you run into trouble getting a free cat in the future as some recent posts from bkvp seemed to indicate that the warranty was not meant to cover normal wear and tear.

Regardless, you will save enough money in fuel costs to pay for cats much faster than you can wear them out so it’s a good deal.

Reactions: Newburnerwisconsin
Heavy usage? Nah, some of us burn 9 months of the year or 50% more. Cat life expectancy is rated by the cat manufacturer at 10-12 thousand hours. That’s “active” time whether the stove is running low or high. I personally have worn out just two cats in my princess and can confirm the 10-12k life expectancy. It’s not just bk but Woodstock too, the combustor technology is consistent.

Warranty is an odd issue. I would not be surprised if you run into trouble getting a free cat in the future as some recent posts from bkvp seemed to indicate that the warranty was not meant to cover normal wear and tear.

Regardless, you will save enough money in fuel costs to pay for cats much faster than you can wear them out so it’s a good deal.
Thanks Highbeam

You're going to get at least 2.5 seasons/years out of your combustor .At that point, you can file a warranty claim for a second one . Keep your door gasket tight from day one- have some break in fires and tighten the latch each time as the door gasket compresses. Oh yes, get the blowers- with your basement install, even if you keep blower on low, it really helps.
Actually, this was clarified previously, the warranty is against thermal degradation. It is anticipated that combustors diminish in performance over time. Mine lasted 18 years and most last 10 or more years. This site has a very hardcore group of wood burners with varying results on combustor performance.

This topic reminds me to find a study conducted by OMNI Test labs on combustor life cycles.

Would 24/7 heating for 4-6 months of the year be considered "hard core"?

Sadly, I think it would. It is a rare person that actually heats their homes with wood these days.

You, from your posts, would not be hardcore. But then you live where the weather is mild compared to let’s say Fairbanks, Buffalo or a host of other cold locations. You also have other heat sources you use when the weather is not super cold. But that takes nothing from your passion for being a wood burner.

Now, Highbeam.....hard to get more hardcore! He, again from his posts relies on his two stoves to keep him warm...except when he’s off fishing.

The point is...there are many influences beyond number of cords or even hours that influence cat life longevity. Thermal shock comes in many forms. Wet wood, ice laden wood stuck in the stove and air leaks (leaving door cracked open as learned in use of other stoves), failure to adjust gasket tension etc.

Then there is operating temps. One owner might try to heat 3,500 sq. ft with a stove and run it on higher burn rates than another person with the same stove in 1,500 sq.ft.

Maintenance, lack of and over zealous (think Tim the Tool Man) maintenace...like scrubbing the cells of the combustor with a gun brush.

Good discussion here....probably needs to be in the 3rd BK performance thread!

Reactions: Cast Iron
Nice discussion. Relevant to how wood heating is used. It may seem "rare" for many living in non temperate regions to heat only with wood, but it's not so rare in northern New England. Basically, it is easier to heat a space with a central furnace zoned for rooms at about 60 F, then raise the BTU's to a comfort level of say 72 F. Not that much of a heat gain. There are quite a few we know ( sample of 4 ) with their central furnace completely off, or no central heating at all.
Scandinavians heat only parts of their homes where they spend the most time such as kitchens and living rooms; most bedrooms are left unheated.
It's a lifestyle. Cold unheated bedrooms. Temperatures down in the mornings often in the 50's F both here and there. Not a big deal for those heating 24/7, 100% with wood in stoves or Russian fireplaces.
Here in the U.S.most expect the temperatures to stay the same year-round in all parts of the homes in any weather. Here in Vermont, we get acclimated to variation in home temperatures. Why heat spaces that are unused most of the day ?

Nice discussion. Relevant to how wood heating is used. It may seem "rare" for many living in non temperate regions to heat only with wood, but it's not so rare in northern New England. Basically, it is easier to heat a space with a central furnace zoned for rooms at about 60 F, then raise the BTU's to a comfort level of say 72 F. Not that much of a heat gain. There are quite a few we know ( sample of 4 ) with their central furnace completely off, or no central heating at all.
Scandinavians heat only parts of their homes where they spend the most time such as kitchens and living rooms; most bedrooms are left unheated.
It's a lifestyle. Cold unheated bedrooms. Temperatures down in the mornings often in the 50's F both here and there. Not a big deal for those heating 24/7, 100% with wood in stoves or Russian fireplaces.
Here in the U.S.most expect the temperatures to stay the same year-round in all parts of the homes in any weather. Here in Vermont, we get acclimated to variation in home temperatures. Why heat spaces that are unused most of the day ?

It's not just wood burners. I dated a gal who's father was a brilliant engineer. When I say brilliant, he has 30 patents or shared patents on sonar technology/microwave technology/ Military guidance systems etc. His monthly royalties were nearly seven figures.

That same guy lived in a modest home heated with Natural Gas. Southern California. Drove an early 80's Subaru, changed his own oil.

This guy placed plywood over door or room opening day and night and said "Why heat or cool an unoccupied room!"

My wife would shoot me if I put plywood over unoccupied room openings!

You, from your posts, would not be hardcore. But then you live where the weather is mild compared to let’s say Fairbanks, Buffalo or a host of other cold locations. You also have other heat sources you use when the weather is not super cold. But that takes nothing from your passion for being a wood burner.

Now, Highbeam.....hard to get more hardcore! He, again from his posts relies on his two stoves to keep him warm...except when he’s off fishing.

The point is...there are many influences beyond number of cords or even hours that influence cat life longevity. Thermal shock comes in many forms. Wet wood, ice laden wood stuck in the stove and air leaks (leaving door cracked open as learned in use of other stoves), failure to adjust gasket tension etc.

Then there is operating temps. One owner might try to heat 3,500 sq. ft with a stove and run it on higher burn rates than another person with the same stove in 1,500 sq.ft.

Maintenance, lack of and over zealous (think Tim the Tool Man) maintenace...like scrubbing the cells of the combustor with a gun brush.

Good discussion here....probably needs to be in the 3rd BK performance thread!
Depends on the year. For the past couple years we typically heat 24/7 from Nov. thru March, usually part time in October and April so about 3600 hrs. a year. It's good to know that is considered normal and not hard core. So based on that, if a cat's lifespan is 10000 to 12000 hours, it sounds like we would be replacing it about every 3 years.

Depends on the year. For the past couple years we typically heat 24/7 from Nov. thru March, usually part time in October and April so about 3600 hrs. a year. It's good to know that is considered normal and not hard core. So based on that, if a cat's lifespan is 10000 to 12000 hours, it sounds like we would be replacing it about every 3 years.
Actually, the 10000-12000 hours is their number based upon their experience from all customers they supply. They back us with the extended warranty because in our units, those numbers are not representative of our actual experience.

Good to know. I am also going by real world results folks have been reporting here.

Last edited:
Actually, the 10000-12000 hours is their number based upon their experience from all customers they supply. They back us with the extended warranty because in our units, those numbers are not representative of our actual experience.
Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting this statement, but are you suggesting that the cats wont last up to 10,000 hrs?

Reactions: coutufr
Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting this statement, but are you suggesting that the cats wont last up to 10,000 hrs?
Not at all....in our stoves they last much, much longer than a supplier states...

I was unhappy with my original ceramic cat's low burn performance after 2 years. It was still doing fine for medium and high burns (and I still have it as a backup cat).

Status
Not open for further replies.