Another question about Ashford Blaze King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to feel the same way. But a couple years ago I cut one up that had fallen into a road - since I and it were right there anyway. I am just burning some of it now, and I must say it's doing better than I expected. It certainly doesn't have the BTUs of hard maple or whatever, but seems as good as white birch or white maple. Which I use quite a bit of. So I won't drive past a decent poplar chance any more. Actually, I don't drive past decent chances of anything much any more. If it's right there & easy to get at & put up, it's usually going in my stacks. Unless it's rotten. Making a new fire every day means a good mix in the stack makes lighting up easier.
If it is in my way and i have to cut it ill burn it but otherwise i dont bother. It just isnt worth it to me. The other thing i dont mess with is elm. It is just suck a pain to split i dont find it worth my time.

Reactions: Ashful
If it is in my way and i have to cut it ill burn it but otherwise i dont bother. It just isnt worth it to me. The other thing i dont mess with is elm. It is just suck a pain to split i dont find it worth my time.

Right with you, man. If I have to put it on a trailer and haul it home, it damn well better be above 20 MBTU/cord. Populous trichocarpa (Poplar/Cottonwood) is what... 12 MBTU/cord?

There is almost no way to get less BTUs from a stick of wood, than processing Poplar, unless you’re into burning Bamboo or Balsa.

Reactions: Cast Iron
Right with you, man. If I have to put it on a trailer and haul it home, it damn well better be above 20 MBTU/cord. Populous trichocarpa (Poplar/Cottonwood) is what... 12 MBTU/cord?

There is almost no way to get less BTUs from a stick of wood, than processing Poplar, unless you’re into burning Bamboo or Balsa.

Balsam fir is down there too.

When I go for wood I'm not just about maxxing out the BTUs I bring home per load. I cut from my dooryard on our own land - so I'm also thinking heavily about cleaning up the property. Which is why I mostly only cut up windfalls - which gets combined with increasing trails through the woods. So if I drive right by one or one is in the way I usually cut it up & bring it home no matter what it is - too easy if it's right beside you. As long as it isn't rotten. Even the odd balsam fir - it makes real good kindling. :)

If I needed much more than my usual 5+/- cords per year and was bringing it home from any distance at all, then yes I would ignore the lesser stuff more.

Actually, the 10000-12000 hours is their number based upon their experience from all customers they supply. They back us with the extended warranty because in our units, those numbers are not representative of our actual experience.

Can you show us the data that would support this?

Reactions: AlbergSteve
To the OP about the top. I painted my first BK tan and now how an enamel white Ashford so I have always removed the top to do anything on them. It's easy to remove, just lift off. Gotta set it somewhere where it cool off though cause it's iron and obviously very hot if you're stove is on. Heat rolls off way faster with it off. When it's the dead of winter, I remove it on super cold nights if I need to because I don't have the blowers. Hope that helps.
Thanks for your response. I appreciate you answering my original question. I am taking a real look at the Ashford and another stove.

I wish we could use colour fonts!

BKVP just gave himself away, coming from Canada !
Down in the States we say " color" >>

Born in Maryland. Lived on Andrews, George, Shepard, Norton, Ramstein and a few others...never lived in Canada. Would love to have spent more time in NZ....the hunting is amazing.

Did you means to write NL? Or in fact NZ.
Either way they speak funny in both places, yet they will write:

colour
labour
drought
centre

etc

Did you means to write NL? Or in fact NZ.
Either way they speak funny in both places, yet they will write:

colour
labour
drought
centre

etc
New Zealand. Spent a month there is 2016. Visited hearth retailers and test labs in advance of our introducing our products down under. (Certain models now available in NZ)

People are great. Food and scenery amazing. Topography incredible.

As regards hunting in New Zealand:
1) No season dates! (year round hunting)
2) No license requirements (yup...no high dollar non resident fees)
3) No limits (Until you are too tired to pack it out)
4) No guide required (if you know where to go...go!)

Last edited:
New Zealand. Spent a month there is 2016. Visited hearth retailers and test labs in advance of our introducing our products down under. (Certain models now available in NZ)

People are great. Food and scenery amazing. Topography incredible.

As regards hunting in New Zealand:
1) No season dates! (year round hunting)
2) No license requirements (yup...no high dollar non resident fees)
3) No limits (Until you are to tired to pack it out)
4) No guide required (if you know where to go...go!)

NZ is definitely on my list to visit! It looks just beautiful. It is just soooo far!

What did you hunt? Kiwi.....

NZ is definitely on my list to visit! It looks just beautiful. It is just soooo far!

What did you hunt? Kiwi.....
The travel time is indeed extended. Wild boar.

thread off track.jpg

Thanks for your response. I appreciate you answering my original question. I am taking a real look at the Ashford and another stove.
Wood length and the lack of a grated bottom were the only sacrifices I consider to have made to go BK. Ideal length is 16, but you can go to 18 or so max, which I believe to be on the shorter side of stoves when you consider side oriented load designs. I really prefer grated bottoms for ash maintenance over the plug but I suppose the lack of another gasket to maintain is the trade off. You will be amazed by the BK! Gotta see it to believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.