Another Rumble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

myzamboni

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2007
Silicon Valley
Here's a new one.

Got to watch my secondary flame in full effect while sitting through a 5.6 earthquake last night. Fortunately, nothing damaged, but imagine if the quake was strong enough to create a leak :gulp:

Cause a leak where?
As long as the stove wasnt bolted to the floor I would think the only way a quake could cause a leak would be if it got thrown into something of greater mass like a mountain.

Raging Wildfires, earthquakes and all the knut jobz in LA LA Land, I'll take the occasional Blizzard and 7 months of naked deciduous trees TYVM :)

babalu87 said:
Cause a leak where?
As long as the stove wasnt bolted to the floor I would think the only way a quake could cause a leak would be if it got thrown into something of greater mass like a mountain.

Raging Wildfires, earthquakes and all the knut jobz in LA LA Land, I'll take the occasional Blizzard and 7 months of naked deciduous trees TYVM :)

3 little screws are not match for major earthquakes. My stove pipe is exposed, not nestled in a chimney.

myzamboni said:
babalu87 said:
Cause a leak where?

3 little screws are not match for major earthquakes. My stove pipe is exposed, not nestled in a chimney.

I got you
I dont think there are many installations that are quake proof. I would imagine if it happened while you were sleeping on a cold night the stove is the first thing you run to (unless you have kids)
Do you have a contingency plan in case that did happen with a roaring fire? A wool blanket stuffed in the opening I guess?

Absolutely no experience with shakey groung...cripes, it gives me the willey's thinking about it. But, "A wool blanket stuffed in the opening I guess?"...wool doesn't burn???. I've never tried to light a sheep but I would have guessed fiberglass insulation in a pinch.

Sounds like you need your stove/chimney assembly on one of those Japanese isolator plates so it can move separate from the house ;-)

woodconvert said:
Absolutely no experience with shakey groung...cripes, it gives me the willey's thinking about it. But, "A wool blanket stuffed in the opening I guess?"...wool doesn't burn???. I've never tried to light a sheep but I would have guessed fiberglass insulation in a pinch.

Sounds like you need your stove/chimney assembly on one of those Japanese isolator plates so it can move separate from the house ;-)

LOL! a caster kit for my Jotul!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.