Another storage tank system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

in hot water

Jul 31, 2008
SW Missouri

Attachments

• Picture 31.png
    Picture 31.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 402
Since these tanks have 10-13" of spray foam, they are a little pricey.
The bigger the tank, the lower the cost per gallon, but the insulation in this case is expensive, but good.
I would prefer to use this type of insulation to make my heat load lower.

These folks try to make a case for seasonal heat storage with solar. This just doesn't work well, even at these insulation values.

I think I have stated here before, that I am nervous about underground tanks that do not have simple access for service.
Things so occasionally need attention. At very least, this should be above ground or in a basement.

When buried, the urethane can eventually waterlog. Even spray foam. Good drainage is very critical.

My 2 cents worth, having worked on really big tanks of this size.

I think about that a lot. My front step is granite, and even when it's 60 degrees the rock is warm to the touch. It gets me thinking: "I could heat my house with this rock!". My house needs about 90k/hr on a cold day. A typical solar DHW setup will give me that in a day, so for a whole day's heat I'm going to need a solar array that will give me about 270k/hr, because the sun is really only going to give me 8 hours in the Winter. That would mean a lot of panels on my roof. I'm not against it, but that's a lot.

R80 in the attic? I just raised it to R49 and now I need R80?

Status
Not open for further replies.