Another "Which new stove to buy?"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RetsooR

Nov 21, 2019
Ok. Locatin has been decided. Chimney worked out. Time to pick out a stove.
I Know i want something with at least 3 cf firebox I have several Dealers with several brands to choose from in my area.
Oh yea . Whatever it is it has to have legs (wife)

Non Cat

Osburn 2300

Pacific Energy Summit

Jotul . I don't even know if i can get one of these. They have one on display (cheep i think)F 50 TL Rangeley (2.6cf)

Buck 74 (2.6cf)

Quadra Fire? I have a local dealer but they had no wood stoves on display.

Cat

Blaze King 30 series

Chimney 1.png

This is chimney 18' total length 8.5 ' of this will be outside above roof . One 30 degree offset in class A. 18" length between elbows.
What im asking is if anyone one sees a problem with any of these stoves/chimney combination that might cause any problems burning effectively.
Fuel will be hardwoods. Oak Beech Hickory Locust and Poplar.

Thanks

All are good stoves. The king Is huge compared to the rest. What is the purpose of the stove? Heat the whole house all winter, more for Ambiance, or a bit of both?

how big of a room do you have to put it in?

Aww Guess i should have put that in there.
The house is 2400 sf two story.. The room its going in is rite around 450 sf.. but this room is open to the upstairs. Ceiling is around 18' high, So the cubic feet is pretty high. Its actually open to kitchen downstairs also. Thats another 240 sf. Anyway i used a 23000 btu kerosene heater in the wood stoves location and it maintained the current house temps in 25 degree outside temps.

This house has a perfectly fine working heat pump. The thermostat is usually set to 68 degrees and i don't plan on changing that.. I will be burning the wood stove in the evenings/ nights and hopefully 24 hours on the weekends. Friday Saturday and Sunday. The stove will never have to heat the home from a cold house the inside temp should already be 68 degrees. Unless there is a power problem as i have no other source of heat . only electric .

Thanks for the replys. My wife Loves the looks of the Jotuls. We ask the dealer about them and he kinda just said awwwww.... let me show you these osburn's . I need to go talk to them again he should be able to order one before the 2020 regs kill them. this is another reason i really like these. the fact that there not 2020 aproved.

2.5 cf on the oslo firebox. everyone i talk that i know tells me to get the biggest firebox i can.. The family and friends i have that burn wood all tell me to get a buck 94 or 91. well that isn't happening, the clearance on those are all crazy and and i think they would be fine as inserts but i will be the only one using as a freestanding stove.

If i drop to 2.5 cf firebox size my options go way up. Maybe i should rethink the size.

Any of the stoves will work, including the larger Osburn 2400. By the description of the house one key issue to address may be too much air pooling at the peak of the ceiling making upstairs hot while downstairs is just comfortable. Ceiling fans can help a bit with this issue.

Yes definitely bgreen. This showed in the test i did . In the other location we had the stove room would be unbearably hot. The location now the upstairs gets most of the heat but it still maintained the thermostat on the lower level. There is already a light fixture in the tall ceiling room that could be used as a ceiling fan location. Only thing i am trying to do is get around 6 hours of usable heat. Time that i am asleep.
Any other time i have no problems tending a fire. Does anyone think the 2.5 fireboxes can handle this?

Most 2.5 cu ft stove will burn 6-10 hrs depending on how hard the stove is being pushed. If you can locate an Enviro Boston 1700, that is a sweet stove in this size.

I have a buck 74 and and i get good 8 hour burns with it without stuffing it completely full. You can get more out of it with a full load but i have a 1500 sq ft house and i seldom need to stuff it or i will run the wife out of the house. Im guessing your normal winters are pretty close to ours here in missouri as far as heat needs. I have no doubt that it could heat a house your size especially if your house is decently insulated with central stove location. Its a pretty easy breathing stove so i dont think you would notice the offset in chimney and has no ash pan....if thats a must? Its also a no frills stove and not as pretty as a jotul. Just giving some insight....theres a lot of good stoves out there. I also went with the notion of a size bigger than i thought i needed and im glad i did. I like that i can run 1/2 loads in the thirties and full loads when the need for real heat is there. That being said maybe you should go with a 3cf stove. Just my thinking.

Reactions: RetsooR and begreen
Thanks fellas. Looks like i have a Enviro Boston dealer 2 hours from here.. I think grizz is correct though i should be looking at something with a little bigger firebox. I know all about the bucks grizz trust me. This would be my choice if it were only my choice. Around here if i tell someone i have something different than a buck there going to look at me kinda funny. I wish buck had a stove with a little bigger firebox besides the 94/91 they have like 4 stoves with 2.4/ 2.6 fireboxes. Plus I think i have a dealer here with the best prices on buck stoves in the country.

Pacific Energy Summit and Classic? its obvious the difference with the visual of the two . But is there a difference in heat output with the porcelain finish? I notice the tops look different to me.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Bucks make great stoves and are popular here as well. I have always heard positive things on here about the summit. I have never ran one and dont know anyone with one but i would think the heating differences of a porcelain stove compared to steel are negligible. Hopefully somone here with experience will chime in for ya.

Reactions: RetsooR
Thanks fellas. Looks like i have a Enviro Boston dealer 2 hours from here.. I think grizz is correct though i should be looking at something with a little bigger firebox. I know all about the bucks grizz trust me. This would be my choice if it were only my choice. Around here if i tell someone i have something different than a buck there going to look at me kinda funny. I wish buck had a stove with a little bigger firebox besides the 94/91 they have like 4 stoves with 2.4/ 2.6 fireboxes. Plus I think i have a dealer here with the best prices on buck stoves in the country.

Pacific Energy Summit and Classic? its obvious the difference with the visual of the two . But is there a difference in heat output with the porcelain finish? I notice the tops look different to me.
The heat output and internals of the Summit or Summit Classic are the same. This firebox is also shared with the PE Alderlea T6.

Reactions: RetsooR
The house is 2400 sf two story.. The room its going in is rite around 450 sf.. but this room is open to the upstairs. Ceiling is around 18' high, So the cubic feet is pretty high. Its actually open to kitchen downstairs also. Thats another 240 sf. Anyway i used a 23000 btu kerosene heater in the wood stoves location and it maintained the current house temps in 25 degree outside temps...working heat pump. The thermostat is usually set to 68 degrees and i don't plan on changing that.. I will be burning the wood stove in the evenings/ nights and hopefully 24 hours on the weekends. Friday Saturday and Sunday.
Is the ceiling lower where it exits to the upstairs, and warm air can pool in the area of the 18' ceiling in the stove room? That 18' ceiling should keep you from roasting in the stove room, but you said one heater location did get too hot in the room, so I must be missing something. I would play with different strategies for moving heat, before I went to the trouble of installing a ceiling fan (granted, not that big of a deal to do.)
In your neck of the woods, you might get an ice storm that knocks out power, and it could be followed by a cold snap, but probably not more than a couple days before it warms up again.
wife Loves the looks of the Jotuls. We ask the dealer about them and he kinda just said awwwww.... let me show you these osburn's . I need to go talk to them again he should be able to order one before the 2020 regs kill them.
Sure, he wants to move what he's got in stock, but I'd think he can also make money ordering you a 2020 from a warehouse. I would be inclined to stick with those, since they have been proven in the field.
2.5 cf on the oslo firebox. everyone i talk that i know tells me to get the biggest firebox i can.. The family and friends i have that burn wood all tell me to get a buck 94 or 91. well that isn't happening, the clearance on those are all crazy and and i think they would be fine as inserts but i will be the only one using as a freestanding stove.
If i drop to 2.5 cf firebox size my options go way up. Maybe i should rethink the size... I wish buck had a stove with a little bigger firebox besides the 94/91 they have like 4 stoves with 2.4/ 2.6 fireboxes.
I measured the 91..just under 3 cu.ft usable space. and the trapezoidal box requires some finagling with splits that are bigger at one end, to really cram the box. I don't know if the 94 is closer to the 4.4 they claim, since it doesn't have the cat and flame shield taking up space..? Not sure if their smaller stoves are closer to claimed firebox size..
You may be able to reduce clearances with double-wall connector pipe and wall shielding. You'd have to research, then talk to Buck for more input. I called them a couple times, and they were helpful.
i have a 1500 sq ft house and i seldom need to stuff it or i will run the wife out of the house.
ash pan....if thats a must?
If your wife has already disrobed before she runs outside, the neighbors might frown on that. I wouldn't have a problem with it.. ;lol
Ash-handling in a stove is a top priority for me; I don't wanna be shoveling out ashes (which I have done on some stoves,) trying to contain dust and having to deal with a pan of hot ash/coal right now. <> The ultimate is a grated floor in the box, where you just run a poker through the ash and it drops into the pan, leaving the heat-producing coals in the box. You pull the pan and dump it just before you load, after the previous stir-down has cooled.
But the Buck 91 had a good dump system with a large opening and hinged lid which worked well. You have to make sure your ash pan gasket seals well, or it will add unwanted air that's not under your control. You also need something that fits down the ash dump opening to distribute ash into areas of the pan that aren't under the dump. I used an L-shaped poker that my MIL had.
Some of the Jotuls have grated ash systems.
I also liked the simple plate-steel bypass plate on the 91...no gasket to deal with. All-around great, simple engineering on the Bucks.
I know all about the bucks grizz trust me. This would be my choice if it were only my choice. Around here if i tell someone i have something different than a buck there going to look at me kinda funny.
Kentuckians are smarter than these southern Hosers give 'em credit for.. ;)
Like Grizz said, probably no difference having enamel, but yeah, the classic looks to have a convective top, and the basic model looks like just the top of the firebox there.
I got my SIL an Alderlea T5, which has a convective cast iron enameled jacket. Sharp-looking but more money. The T6 is bigger, same box as the Summit, but no enamel..??
PE is another stove brand with good, simple engineering, and they toss good heat.

If your wife demands a looker, that enamel Classic might pass muster..

Haha thanks for the replys. I would like those post but I guess I'm not smart enough to do that yet..

And from some of those post I am definatly looking for the bigger stove now.. mabey I can keep her disrobed in the house more often.

Wow cant believe that about that firebox size? Just under 3 cf is that common with stoves? They state it 4.4 cf I think.Should I be measuring all brands? Yes the clearances on the 94 are untested with double wall.. only way to reduce is with a heat shield built behind them.. I was priced 1299 for a new 94 couple of weeks ago . 94s are not approved for 2020.

But your rite none of that really matters . She wants a looker..

She likes the classic summit . And all the cast stoves.. I dont blame her they do look nice .. 2020 will be 20 years of marriage . I would sure hate to start over so I will spend the extra cash.

The Alderlea looks awesome but the dealer didnt have any to look at. I have been to 7 dealers and very few stoves to actually look at. I dont get it they said they just sell to many gas stoves.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Thanks for the replys. My wife Loves the looks of the Jotuls. We ask the dealer about them and he kinda just said awwwww.... let me show you these osburn's . I need to go talk to them again he should be able to order one before the 2020 regs kill them. this is another reason i really like these. the fact that there not 2020 aproved.

If i drop to 2.5 cf firebox size my options go way up. Maybe i should rethink the size.
So, Jotul may be going bye-bye? The little info I have heard is that nobody seems to know what plans they have. I spoke with two dealers in November about a F55 and neither one seemed thrilled.

So, Jotul may be going bye-bye? The little info I have heard is that nobody seems to know what plans they have. I spoke with two dealers in November about a F55 and neither one seemed thrilled.

I think with the dealer nere me anyway.
They just dont want to order a stove. Unless it is paid for befor ordering. I wouldnt want to buy something I have not seen.. and if I did see it and change my mind well that would be bad for the dealer if they cant sell it befor March I think it is..

I cant say this is what I would buy.. my wife really likes the pictures of them. But they are definatly losing a possible sell because of the issue.

Haha thanks for the replys. I would like those post but I guess I'm not smart enough to do that yet..

And from some of those post I am definatly looking for the bigger stove now.. mabey I can keep her disrobed in the house more often.

Wow cant believe that about that firebox size? Just under 3 cf is that common with stoves? They state it 4.4 cf I think.Should I be measuring all brands? Yes the clearances on the 94 are untested with double wall.. only way to reduce is with a heat shield built behind them.. I was priced 1299 for a new 94 couple of weeks ago . 94s are not approved for 2020.

But your rite none of that really matters . She wants a looker..

She likes the classic summit . And all the cast stoves.. I dont blame her they do look nice .. 2020 will be 20 years of marriage . I would sure hate to start over so I will spend the extra cash.

The Alderlea looks awesome but the dealer didnt have any to look at. I have been to 7 dealers and very few stoves to actually look at. I dont get it they said they just sell to many gas stoves.
I've been running an Alderlea for 10 yrs now and my best friend has had a Summit for 5 if you have questions. It's worth calling around to see if any Jotul dealers have an F55. That is a nicely finished stove with similar burning characteristics as the T6 but without the swing-away trivet top.

been to 7 dealers and very few stoves to actually look at. I dont get it they said they just sell to many gas stoves.
I think they are trying to move their old stock before time runs out in may, so they aren't ordering new stoves yet.

The Oslo, F500v3 should be out. That might work, but we haven't mentioned it because it is a new variation that we have no field feedback on yet, so no one knows how well it will perform.

Haha . You mentioned the f55 so I went to Jotul website and yes it is definitely a possible candidate. Clearances work also.

So I was scrolling through stoves and there it was f500v3. I have been on there website at least once every day for the past month. Seems like it . I was scrolling and I was like is that new I dont remember seeing that .

Man do I really want to the guinea pig on that? I mean what are they doing to these stoves to make them burn cleaner .. what can they do. In the end it's the same just burning wood rite? There should be a thread on actually what is changing to make these burn cleaner. There probably is. I will search it

I have found another Jotul dealer about 2 hours from me. Almost perfect as I have to work out of town this week. The dealer is only about 20 minuts from where I am working. I am going to stop by and see what they have to say.

Aww one more thing .. You have a T6 but is 10 years old. Would this be the same model I would buy new or would it be different for 2020. I think I am just realizing I am going to be buying a stove that really hasn't been field tested at all..

Man do I really want to the guinea pig on that? I mean what are they doing to these stoves to make them burn cleaner
I wouldn't want to, so I got my SIL the T5, not the new LE version. I think they tweak the stoves to burn hotter, or they add a cat. The new v3 might be a hybrid, I don't know. In any event, it's unproven..
We should be getting early reports on the new models before too long. But you want a stove now..

Aww one more thing .. You have a T6 but is 10 years old. Would this be the same model I would buy new or would it be different for 2020. I think I am just realizing I am going to be buying a stove that really hasn't been field tested at all..
The newer T6 has a much better EBT than ours, and a little different baffle. We have a local dealer that has been selling the new LE models since last January. He reports they are doing well and customers are happy.

Reactions: Newburnerwisconsin