Another "Which new stove to buy?"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The newer T6 has a much better EBT than ours, and a little different baffle.
Could you detail the changes, for those of us that won't have a chance to see the stoves in person?

The newer T6 has a much better EBT than ours, and a little different baffle. We have a local dealer that has been selling the new LE models since last January. He reports they are doing well and customers are happy.
Did PE make the new baffle thicker so it would be less likely to warp?

Did PE make the new baffle thicker so it would be less likely to warp?
On the 2019 T5, it's not a board, it's a metal box with holes in it, about the size of a donut box. You probably know that, and yeah, ours is slightly bowed out on the bottom. I doesn't seal as well as I think it should in the back. I'll have a look at it..I have a couple ideas on how to remedy it.
20191111_140038.jpg

On the 2019 T5, it's not a board, it's a metal box with holes in it, about the size of a donut box.
View attachment 253742
I know. I did not say it was a board did I? It’s stainless steel and some of them have been known to warp and need replacement. It’s even addressed in the owners manual.

I know. I did not say it was a board did I? It’s stainless steel and some of them have been known to warp and need replacement. It’s even addressed in the owners manual.
Yeah, I edited my post as you were typing. I didn't know it was in the manual, and I didn't save the manual to the computer, just have the paper one at my SIL's. I don't have time to look at the LE manual right now.
You can see it in the back here; The baffle is touching the brick rail in the center by where the holes run to the back, and has a gap on either side between it and the rail. So some secondary air is leaking there instead of all of it going to the holes in the baffle. I'm not getting a new baffle, unless they send a thicker one. What would be the point if it's just going to warp again? I'll either bend mine back flat, or seal the gap with interam and/or flat woven gasket.

Last edited:
Or possibly heat it up before bending it back flat..

Not sure if begreen's did that, or @Hogwildz or if it's just a Super box issue.

Oops, forgot pic.
20191105_134057.jpg

The baffles warp some. Depending how hard you use the stove, will warp more, but I have never seen it affect performance.
The baffles are same thickness as they always were, just the added port holes on the bottom.
The rear of the baffle also has secondary ports under the angle pc on the bottom rear. Secondary in back is as designed, and not from leakage.
It may crack trying to bend it back or attempting to flatten it again. I've just burned and let it do what it does, which is the job intended without issues.

It's more of a sag than a warp. Our stovetop gets up to 650-700F with almost every burn, except in milder weather. So far baffle sag has been minimal after 10 yrs., maybe 1/8" or 3/16"?

Just an update.. I finally found a stove. Jotul F55. I found a dealer with a couple in stock for a decent price I think. 2100.00 I'm going to pick it up next weekend. Its 4 hours away but 550.00 cheaper than I can get anyone to give me a price local. I'm pretty excited. Problem is it's about 50 miles from Gattlinburg TN. The wife wants to just make a little vacation out of this weekend. So the savings on the stove will be obliterated .. haha good times.

Better make sure that they hold the stove for you. Call before you leave to verify it is still at the store.

That looks super. The hearth came out great.

Yes, the T5 is 2 cu ft. The firebox is almost square which allows the deeper N/S loading.

I think that's the Jotul F55. ~3c.f.
Yes, RetsooR's new stove is the F55. The question was asked of Woody's sister's stove which is the T5.