Another which splitter thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ariens are great splitters but out of your price range most likely. The Subaru Robin engine is awesome.
I got a troy built 27 ton with a Honda gx engine for under a grand (I think 850 on clearance) it's been great.
Most of these all have the same or similar components, which are easily replaceable.
I found used splitters are selling for 700 bucks so I just bought new.
Good luck let us know how you make out

Lowes has them in stock and HD offers them online. Since HD is local I'm going to see if they'll price match.

You should call homedepot.com rather than the local store. The store can't price match even if they want to if they don't carry the item. At best they'll tell you to call homedepot.com; at worst they won't know enough to do that and will just tell you no.

Reactions: rwhite
Before I retired HD and Lowes price matched as a regular policy. I always preferred Lowes over HD and avoided HD like the plague.

I've got to drive right by a Lowes as well on my way to look at the used one so I'll probably come home with a splitter either way :)

Before I retired HD and Lowes price matched as a regular policy. I always preferred Lowes over HD and avoided HD like the plague.

They still do but the stores are a whole different thing from the website. Nobody in the store can put a discount on an order from the website, so if HD doesn't carry the splitter as a stock item, you are wasting your breath even talking to them about it. The most the store can do is call the website and ask them to price match. Frankly, you have much better chance of getting a yes if you call directly as a customer.

I know the store and the website use the same name and logo, but they don't use the same computer systems. :)

I like my HF splitter a lot! I have really worked it too..likely about 5-8 cord and some really knarly stuff like elm.

The reality is that it is very difficult to stay away from Chinese goods. Even the American brands have a great deal of the components (or even entire assemblies) sourced from China.

I like my HF splitter a lot! I have really worked it too..likely about 5-8 cord and some really knarly stuff like elm.

The reality is that it is very difficult to stay away from Chinese goods. Even the American brands have a great deal of the components (or even entire assemblies) sourced from China.
They do have quite a few good reviews. My worry is always parts. I guess if I could alleviate the concern and know that hose fittings, pumps, filters etc were all standard or could be interchangeable I would consider one. I just read to many posts that something broke and they had to just pack up the entire splitter and return it. Living a few hundred miles from the nearest store doesn't make that to feasible. But I have heard good reviews on the predator engines.

In addition to the above is travel or shipping distance. HF splitter is basically $700, add the drive or pay shipping is another $100. So I'm at $800 when I can just go local and get one that goes vertical for $899.

I consider H/F as temporary or one time usage tools. Disposable stuff until you can afford real tools. They are not so cheap when you have to replace them with good stuff but fine if you only use them once or twice. Last time I shopped there I bought some 1/2" nylon rope for a great deal. I now have me a big rats nest of absolute crap. Don't know how you can turn simple 1/2" rope into a pile of self unraveling unusable crap that can't be used around women or kids but they nailed it.

Reactions: spawner
I consider H/F as temporary or one time usage tools. Disposable stuff until you can afford real tools. They are not so cheap when you have to replace them with good stuff but fine if you only use them once or twice. Last time I shopped there I bought some 1/2" nylon rope for a great deal. I now have me a big rats nest of absolute crap. Don't know how you can turn simple 1/2" rope into a pile of self unraveling unusable crap that can't be used around women or kids but they nailed it.
It's always been hit or miss for me. But I've never spent over $10-15 on a tool there either. A splitter is a big purchase for me and I'd hate for it to be the miss.

just finished splitting about 2 cords worth of nasty maple, and some locust. found 1 piece it wouldn't go through, but I'm not sure 100 more tons would have helped. prob going to do the first oil change just to be safe. how did the used splitter look?

just finished splitting about 2 cords worth of nasty maple, and some locust. found 1 piece it wouldn't go through, but I'm not sure 100 more tons would have helped. prob going to do the first oil change just to be safe. how did the used splitter look?
Well I either made a $350 mistake or got a hell of a deal. It is a Brave 20 ton. New motor and he had the receipts that the cylinder was recently rebuilt. The down side is the equalizer tube was cracked so I only ran the motor a bit so it didn't dump fluid everywhere. Stopped on the way home and just got a hose to fit the cylinder and few gallons of fluid. So tomorrow I'll put it together. So far I'm into it about $400.

Well I either made a $350 mistake or got a hell of a deal. It is a Brave 20 ton. New motor and he had the receipts that the cylinder was recently rebuilt. The down side is the equalizer tube was cracked so I only ran the motor a bit so it didn't dump fluid everywhere. Stopped on the way home and just got a hose to fit the cylinder and few gallons of fluid. So tomorrow I'll put it together. So far I'm into it about $400.
congrats on the new splitter and gl with it!

What ever it is it looks well made and it tilts. 20 tons should be plenty as I never get anywhere close to maxing out a 22.