Another wood id question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Doublebogey

Burning Hunk
Tree guy dropped this off and told me it was hackberry. I knew that wasn't the case since I have cut and split cords of hackberry and it looks nothing like this. I think this may be osage but Ive never dealt with hedge before. Its very heavy but it spits easily enough.

20211122_143310.jpg 20211124_154810.jpg 20211124_154757.jpg 20211124_154642.jpg

Save that for special occasions.

I have also seen locust look like that. Either way you will have some mighty fine fuel when done.

Reactions: patrickk222
I'm thinking mulberry or hedge.

I get that vibrant yellow with hedge out this way

Def not hackberry - at least around here, that is a creamy white wood - would never be confused with this yellow. I'd believe mulberry or hedge as both of those are fairly intense yellow.

I was tempted to say hedge, but you saying it is very easy to split and looking at how wide the growth rings are in the piece setting on your splitting stump makes me think mulberry.

Good God!! psychedelic yellow! That is wild, never seen that. it is not locust.

+1 for mulberry.
Bark wrong for Osage. Osage would be orangish when young.
Mulberry burns well (but it pops too). It's just not as special as Osage.

Split and give it a year. If it is still as heavy as it was when you split it, it's hedge.

Mulberry. The yellow will change to a reddish color like black cherry after exposure to UV. It is pretty good firewood.

Mulberry. The yellow will change to a reddish color like black cherry after exposure to UV. It is pretty good firewood
So will hedge. But I agree that it is mulberry.

All around the mulberry bush
The monkey chased the weasel
The monkey thought 'twas all in fun
Pop! goes the weasel
A penny for a spool of thread
A penny for a needle
That's the way the money goes
Pop! goes the weasel

Reactions: fbelec
26 million BTU to a cord! I would love to give it a try.
it looks like good firewood, the grain is similar to locust.