Another wood ID request

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rangerbait

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2016
Shepherdstown, WV
This stuff looked like mahogany, and was super heavy, so I figured it would be a bear to split...stuff flew apart like it was scared of me! What do I have here? Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia, btw.

e9e8e84d74acb74dec3b844b060fa1ac.jpg

0e6ad147b692ab8c11c874d1dab45548.jpg

3b1c95755925411c62b7d16dbd7d9349.jpg

black walnut ?
dark heartwood with light sapwood; chambered pith; bark should have chocolate color when you cut into it with knife. Is branching habit alternate (it's opposite on ash) ? How does it smell ?

Reactions: D8Chumley
+2 on black walnut. Leaves alot of ash in the firebox, but burns pretty nice.

Could be walnut with the stringy underbark. But heartwood isn't right, should be dark too. That purplish interior looks like cottonwood and those growth rings would match a fast growing softwood.

looks just like some walnut I got the other day....

I think it is Black Walnut. In one photo the heartwood has a lighter color than typical Black Walnut, but that could be a little bit of rot. No other wood in the east is as dark as Black Walnut.

If you're around the Shepardstown area I pass through when I travel that way,i'd say it is definitely walnut. Area is full of pastures and hedgerows thick with walnut and locust.

Reactions: Rangerbait
If you're around the Shepardstown area I pass through when I travel that way,i'd say it is definitely walnut. Area is full of pastures and hedgerows thick with walnut and locust.
I actually live right in Shepherdstown...recently relocated from the west coast, so trying to figure out these local trees.

Ok, two more for you...the first is super yellow on the inside, and very dense but splits easily. The second is very light and also splits easily.

Attachments

• IMG_2318.JPG
    IMG_2318.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2319.JPG
    IMG_2319.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2321.JPG
    IMG_2321.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_2322.JPG
    IMG_2322.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 134
Mulberry and hackberry. The mulberry will start to turn a dark shade of purple. I'm guessing on the hackberry, because the picture is a little tough to tell. It's easy to destinguish because it has very wortey/corky bark. It's not too light though. About the same as ash.

Reactions: Lakeside
Mulberry and hackberry. The mulberry will start to turn a dark shade of purple. I'm guessing on the hackberry, because the picture is a little tough to tell. It's easy to destinguish because it has very wortey/corky bark. It's not too light though. About the same as ash.

You think the yellow one is mulberry, eh? Man these deciduous trees are hard to tell apart...especially in the winter!

Mulberry and hackberry
X2. Bark is a bit diff from the mulberry on my prop, but locust is much more furrowed and thicker. Not many trees with stark yellow wood like that. Second pic of bark is a bit blurry, but looks like kackberry to me.
Man these deciduous trees are hard to tell apart
Yep they can be real characters some times. Only a few have dead giveaways that are species specific. Like the thorns of wild honey locust.