another wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iron

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2015
southeast kootenays
i bike commute to work every day (29mi). been passing a nicely stacked pile of logs and finally could resist no more. from a distance, i thought it might be big leaf maple, but now i'm not so sure. maybe alder?

IMG_20161103_105827654.jpg IMG_20161103_105834758_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Deff a soft wood. No big leaf where I live. Bark and chevron marking at the branches is very similar to the poplars in my area, but not sure if poplars are in your neck of the woods. West coast guys will have to call this one.

Reactions: StihlKicking
that leaf is a weed methinks. i split open a few pieces today and believe that it's alder. super easy split. clean straight grain. dark band of wood in the center 2" of the round. will post pics from daylight hours.

I don't think it's alder. The ends of alder turn dark red/orange shortly after being cut. And alder is a uniform color from the center on out to the bark.

Out of the common native trees, I'm gonna guess cottonwood because of the brown middle section. The bark of maple and cottonwood can look similar.
Maple isn't hard to split.

damn, i hope it's not CW. i know some stuff i split earlier this year had a similar appearance and smelled like piss. this piece doesn't smell, so maybe there's hope it's a young cedar? it was quite heavy... bad signs
IMG_7504.JPG
IMG_7505.JPG

Your original pictures are definitely not cedar. Cedar has very distinct bark and smell.
Could be a non native species...or cottonwood.

I'm looking at a stand of poplars out my window right now, and they look just like your wood -- Too late to dry it for this year, but it'll work next. Better than burning leaves. Or oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.