Another wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I'm almost done. At least the big splitting pile got split and stacked. You will notice in the pictures there is one row not quite finished but there is enough yet to fill that little space but I have to cut some off and split a few first. So, over the winter I cut 9 cords.....and I thought maybe it was just a little over 7. Now if I could get the wife to be more ambitious.....

This is what it looked like before I started splitting:
3-6-08a.jpg

This is what it looked like when I started stacking:
4-4-09f.jpg

This is what it looks like now:
Wood-2009d.jpg

Wood-2009c.jpg

I also checked to see how much wood we have total that is split and stacked and there are 23 cords.

Looking good! :)

Looks great!

So how long do you anticipate the 23 cords will last for you?

Spikem said:
Looks great!

So how long do you anticipate the 23 cords will last for you?
Considering he has a Fireview that runs all winter long on just a couple of pieces of oak, lets see 16 x8 x 3 / by square root of pi x 4y + gloabal warming = sometime into the 23rd century.

Wowzers Dennis, your getting too old to be working that hard. :lol: Did you forget that you bought a new stove that goes through half the wood you use to? Take a break, you deserve it.

jpl1nh probably hit it about right! lol

For sure there is close to an 8 year supply right now but some of that may go somewhere else too. I really do need to get rid of some. Last year we used just under 3 cord and this year was right about exactly 3 cords.

If weather and health is right I'll probably cut about the same amount next winter. There are still lots of ash dying out there.

btw, that 9 cords is almost all ash. I did cut one elm and also cut up 2 or 3 small maple that I fell a couple years ago for deer to eat on. I was going to keep track of how much gas I used and how many hours of splitting but kept forgetting to write it down. My memory banks are almost broken and I can't seem to get any of those billions from the government. Therefore, I have to rely either on my own or go buy an elephant somewhere. Hey, maybe I could use one for skidding!

Incredible amount of work there Savage...something to be proud of.

23 cords Its time to go fishing for a week!!!!!!

Backwoods Savage said:
I really do need to get rid of some.

Let me know if you decide to get rid of some, it would be a bit of a hike but I may be interested in a cord or two if the price is right. I'm splitting a bunch of wood right now but most of it is oak and probably won't be ready for this winter.

Yes, that would be a long haul but I'll definitely keep you in mind. We also usually help out some of the not so fortunate people with their wood needs. Once we do that then we'll have a good handle on what we should do. For sure I have some that is well seasoned!

Backwoods Savage said:
We also usually help out some of the not so fortunate people with their wood needs. Once we do that then we'll have a good handle on what we should do. For sure I have some that is well seasoned!

That is a really great thing to do for someone!

Eat your heart out! lol

^^^^^^^^^ both of you guys make me sick!!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^
both of you have wayyyyyyyyy more wood than me!!

iceman said:
^^^^^^^^^ both of you guys make me sick!!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^
I don't know that I'd be announcing that. ;)

Wet1 said:
BTW, nice work Dennis!!!

lmaooooooo!!!

your right......
but mine goes longer than a 10-12 hr burnnnnnnnnn!!!!!

iceman said:
Wet1 said:
BTW, nice work Dennis!!!

lmaooooooo!!!

your right......
I don't think I'd be proud (or announcing) having a 10-12 hour burn either. On a more positive note, I hear they make medication that should fix your burning wood. ;)

Wet1 said:
iceman said:
Wet1 said:
BTW, nice work Dennis!!!

lmaooooooo!!!

your right......
I don't think I'd be proud (or announcing) having a 10-12 hour burn either. On a more positive note, I hear they make medication that should fix your burning wood. ;)

how bout this because my wood is so dense it outputs unheard of btus and keeps an average bedroom warm for more than 10-12 hrs!!

Mr. B.S. (backwoods savage) you've got the right idea about stocking up. I say cut and stack all you can while your healthy. We never know where life is going to turn the next day and you may have to depend on today's work for tomorrow. Not to be a killjoy, but stuff happens sometimes. Not to mention if the economy goes where it looks like its going.... you can always sell or trade some for food. Those are some nice lookin stacks too.

Thanks everyone. Around here they keep telling me to slow down. After all, I'm no young stud any more. I just smile usually.

It is sort of like one spring day last year when I went for a short bike ride (pedal type bike). I saw an old friend I hadn't talked to for a long time so stopped. He looked terrible (age 65). Had just had a stoke. Two miles later I saw another fellow and stopped to say hello. He looked terrible. High blood pressure and they were afraid of him having a heart attack. I felt bad for him and still do.

Then on the ride home I got to thinking: What were they thinking? I was near the same age or older and here I was riding my bicycle and having fun! Then I went home and split more wood. Hum..... Should I really slow down? I don't think so and already this year I have over 1,300 miles on that bike and loving every minute of it. If this crazy weather would straighten up I'd pile on some big mileage.

I believe your right Dennis,retirement shouldn't mean doing nothing but rather doing those things that bring your pleasure.Both of my Grandfathers were avid gardeners along with other interest,one of them actually started planting a small orchard about 10 years before retirement so he could appreciate it when he finally retired they both lived into there 80's,I know plenty of people in there 70's,80's and yes a few in there 90,s that are very active.These are the people I enjoy talking to the most for there life experiences because they have the most to share.Sounds to me that you are enjoying yourself and are still able to help others so please keep up the good work and sharing your experiences and talents with others.

iceman said:

My company is about to be taken over by Pfizer, when that happens I will snag some product that might be able to help you!

See? two guys in this thread are trying to help the less fortunate get some wood!

Skinny, I hope that doesn't mean you will lose your job!!! Sometimes good things happen when a company is taken over but it can go the other way too. We wish you the best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.