Ants in the woodpile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic99

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 13, 2006
MA, Suburb of Lowell
So most days when I stack wood, I see ants from time to time. Is this a serious concern?

I keep the wood off of the ground. The wood racks are basically a "U" of 2x4s that rest on cinder blocks.

The back of the racks is 6 inches from either a shed wall or a fence wall. This gives the wood more stability, but I imagine that ants get to the wood by climbing up the cinder blocks or climbing up the sides of the shed/fence wall.

I stack the wood as I split it so that I can see if the wood has insects . . . so that is not the problem.

Are insects are inevitable?

Thanks.

"Are insects are inevitable?"

Yep.

Perhaps the most concise and eloquent answer I've ever seen on this website Brother Bart. Doaah!!! You edited it while I was posting. Take it back to the previous!!

I'd only be real concerned if they are carpenter ants, or fire ants. First eats wood, second eats the stacker. Nice thing is when you need the wood, they are dead or dormant.

UncleRich said:
I'd only be real concerned if they are carpenter ants, or fire ants. First eats wood, second eats the stacker. Nice thing is when you need the wood, they are dead or dormant.
And if you don't let the wood warm up too much before you throw it in the stove, they burn pretty good too!

Clownfish99 said:
So most days when I stack wood, I see ants from time to time. Is this a serious concern?

Not a serious concern. Most likely, they are left over from some of the dead/rotten core part of the trees you might have, or just hanging around underneath some of the splits on the ground. Once all stacked up and drying.... I doubt you will find many or any at all in there.

I thought they might not be much of a problem . . . . but I am new to this.

Thanks.

As the wood dries there will be less of them too, they need a damp/wet location.

^^^^Which is why you don't have to worry about them spreading into your house, unless you have a leak that's causing your house to rot.

UncleRich said:

Actually they don't eat it, just chew it and spit it out (frass). But they are pretty good at it; there were some long tunnels through a lot of the oak I split recently.

DiscoInferno said:
UncleRich said:

Actually they don't eat it, just chew it and spit it out (frass). But they are pretty good at it; there were some long tunnels through a lot of the oak I split recently.

In lab tests ant spit had twice the BTU value of seasoned hardwood.

Hmmm, folic acid mellowed oak. I can smell it now.

BeGreen said:
a new fragrance, "Eau de Oak"

jpl1nh said:
BeGreen said:
a new fragrance, "Eau de Oak"

Ant spit can only improve the smell of fresh red oak.

Man, can I tell you guys don't work with wood. Talk about tupelo or yellow poplar and I will join in. One split and it will drive all other odors from the wood pile. Then you won't want to carry any of it in your home, let alone burn it.

UncleRich said:
Man, can I tell you guys don't work with wood. Talk about tupelo or yellow poplar and I will join in. One split and it will drive all other odors from the wood pile. Then you won't want to carry any of it in your home, let alone burn it.

Just cutting and splitting it.

Poplar smoke is nasty, but I guess I don't remember the wood itself smelling bad. It's been a while since I split some and it had been on the ground for a while, though. Really, I think the only wood types that I find smell much when sitting in a stack are oak, cherry, and pine. I've split a lot of others but never smelled any of them from a distance like those 3.

Well I LIKE the smell of red oak, it makes me feel nice and warm... :coolgrin: Anyone finds it to objectionable, I'm perfectly willing to let you stack it in our yard...

Gooserider

When I was in the cattle business cow poop smelled like money.

When I was in the oil business refineries smelled like money.

As a wood burner red oak smells like, well, money.

I was splitting wet, soft maple last weekend.Millions of black carpenter aunts came out. We sprayed them with an aunt killer. I guess they love wet wood and as the log lays in the sun its gets warm

About 25 years ago I had a rack of wood that had carpenter ants all over it, so I got the bright idea to spray the wood, so I don't bring them in the house. So I had some Malathion pesticide that you mix with water and I sprayed the wood. I noticed this chemical smelled like cat urine. That winter guess what the fireplace smelled like, yup cats.

Those exposed ants are like a gift to the birds and other animals around your property. They're an important part of the ecosystem. I wouldn't spray them. They pose no threat to you or your house.

how can you say they pose no threat? When you bring them into the house then they can cause havik!

They pose no threat to people, but the dwelling is another story, have seen a number of homes with severe structural damage from carpenter ants. Including a floor caving in, a ceiling, and some very expensive repairs.

yeah, I already have them in my house! guess I better call Terminex or something liek that

Status
Not open for further replies.