Any advice for grinding out the weld "blob" inside the stovepipe outlet on my Englander 30?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heus

Jan 15, 2009
NE Ohio
All done with installation except there is a huge (3/4") blob of metal in the way in the stove pipe outlet. Should I grind parallel with the blob or can I cut directly into it at several places then grind smooth what is left?

Can you get a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder in there? Thats how I would try to resolve it. Or call the dealer and have them bring another...

There's somebody here who works for Englander & beat me up for bad-mouthing the quality of their products.
Maybe he can tell you what the assemblers use to bench the weld spatter...
That big of a "blob" shouldn't get past their QC folks...

I would grind the whole thing. But first, I would try to smack it off with a hammer since most dingle berries are only loosely attached to the base metal. Be careful not to grind off too much material and end up with an inperfect sealing surface.

^ Yup, cold chisel & hammer would be my first try. If it popped off, then a quick cleanup with the grinder. If the hammer & chisel didn't break it loose, then I'd start in with the grinder. There are some flap wheels available in different grits that work like a dream on mild steel. Easier to work with, especially on a curved interior surface, than the standard rigid wheels. Rick

Yeah they need to do something about that. I have it in my 30 also. Rather than bang on it I just snipped a little piece at the bottom of the pipe to fit around it and left it. As hot as a flue collar gets I didn't want to go pounding on it.

Dremel if you have one, 4 inch grinder if you can get in there. You can get a 20 buck grinder at HF or the local Chinese tool store and they work fine, I have 4 of em. A die grinder also words better and faster if you have an air compressor around. Hammer and chisel too just don't get carried away if you don't have a "feel" for this sort of stuff. No matter how you do it you will get a nice job and nothing will be worse for the wear in the end. QC should have caught that you are right but think about it. There are folks posting on here who weren't even alive to remember customer service. It, like the true warranty is a long lost art.

I went back and looked it over. To be fair, it is about 3/8" not 3/4". I may just snip a chunk out of the stove pipe like BrotherBart said.

I don't recall if the englander has a ceramic baffle plate under that stove collar but if it did I would be wanting to place a protective layer of anything on the baffle to prevent more funky metal working byproducts. Even lay a rag on top of the baffle.

Don't snip the pipe, remove the wart.

I like the answer about "call the dealer and have them bring another"...........real sure Home Cheapo will be right over

humpin iron said:
I like the answer about "call the dealer and have them bring another"...........real sure Home Cheapo will be right over

If it is Lowe's they will just give ya another stove or your money back no questions asked. Try that with your local stove shop. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
humpin iron said:

If it is Lowe's they will just give ya another stove or your money back no questions asked. Try that with your local stove shop. :lol:

i second the local hearth shop that should work out well

Brother Bart, Thats because they hold payment to suppliers for 90 to 120 days. Then the big box stores just deduct it from what they owe and tell suppliers "it's out back come get it or it goes in the dumpster". Thats why those stores have such a liberal return policy, all the cost goes back to the supplier. There is no burden on the consumer to prove there really is a defect. Thats also why some companies have ceased doing business with them.
I have friends who sold to those stores, **past tense

humpin iron said:
Brother Bart, Thats because they hold payment to suppliers for 90 to 120 days. Then the big box stores just deduct it from what they owe and tell suppliers "it's out back come get it or it goes in the dumpster". Thats why those stores have such a liberal return policy, all the cost goes back to the supplier. There is no burden on the consumer to prove there really is a defect. Thats also why some companies have ceased doing business with them.

I understand. I used to sell to an aerospace company that did the same thing. With ESW though I had a defect in my stove when I bought it and they replaced the stove sight unseen and the store I bought it from wasn't involved and never even knew it happened. On their best day I cannot imagine even my favorite local stove store being able/willing to do that.

I get a little tired on here of people beating up dealers and dealers beating up the mass merchandise market. Both have their place in the grand scheme of things and always will. Some people should buy from a dealer and some people do just fine just being handed a stove and a wave goodbye. Not one thing wrong with either approach.

BrotherBart said:
humpin iron said:

I understand. I used to sell to an aerospace company that did the same thing. With ESW though I had a defect in my stove when I bought it and they replaced the stove sight unseen and the store I bought it from wasn't involved and never even knew it happened. On their best day I cannot imagine even my favorite local stove store being able/willing to do that.

I get a little tired on here of people beating up dealers and dealers beating up the mass merchandise market. Both have their place in the grand scheme of things and always will. Some people should buy from a dealer and some people do just fine just being handed a stove and a wave goodbye. Not one thing wrong with either approach.

it does get old all it seems all we hear lately is bitching i dont mind helping i like it really but to keep saying this guy sucks or this store sucks it gets old there is a 5% rule in retail and it seems to be getting bigger in the internet age. it is that there will always be those people that no matter what you do they are never happy

A defect is a defect. If its wrong then they either need to make it right asap, replace it, or refund your money. Some stoves are 800 bucks, some a lot more. I always put purchases on credit card so the retailer can not play games. I realize that sometimes consumers play games, but in this instance that was not the case. When I bought my stove the dealer put it in partially, cracked the blower housing, was missing the connector, scratched the ask lip, then charged my card and said we will be in touch when we get the parts in a few months. It was October 30th and the chimney was not even sealed. I told him I put half down and the balance will be paid when the job is completed. He laughed and said not the way he does business. I chuckled and said well, good luck then and cancelled the charge. It was amazing how he got word a week later and cussed and swore. Right there I knew it was a $hit establishment. He threatened to sue a dozen times and I told him go ahead, it will save me the filing fee when I counter. He refused to refund and pick it up. I finally got to hampton direct and after a big argument they half a$$ed finished the install and lied about it, and this was only after I pointed out its thier product and the dealer was thier websites suggestion. A year later I have to redo it. Moral of the story is...use a credit card to protect yourself!!! By the way I never did get reimbursed for the 1/2 inch dent in my wall where they gouged it with the stove or the stain on the carpeting.

I agree with all the posts. We all get tired, some dealers burn consumers, some consumers burn dealers. Everybody on both sides need to do homework to know who your dealing with.
No need for war stories, we've all heard them before

Thats the best part humpin, I did, no lawsuits, BBB stellar rating. The owner decided to liquidate and cash in everywhere he could and opened a new business. Claimed it was sold to someone and they made the error? Funny how it was him who I was dealing with and who took the money. Money talks and, well, you know the rest...pay with a credit card!

So after stopping payment,keeping the product, eventually getting the job done, did you pay the dealer?

Of course, I just wanted what I paid for.

The blob is actually an integral part of the design if you just nip a little slot out of you stove pipe to fit around it the in will keep your stove pipe from turning all Willy nilly. :)

Lets not forget that the Englander folks build a good solid stove at a fraction of the price of the stoves sold by dealers at 2K +. so if the biggest complaint people got is there is a dingle berry in the stove collar well it is just one of those things you deal with IMHO. Besides let us not forget they make and market them to the DIY crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.