Any drawbacks to Jotul GF 100 DV II Nordic model?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

warmup777

Dec 30, 2021
bay area
Are there any drawbacks of buying a used Jotul GF 100 DV II I should know about, especially since it's an older design? In your opinion, would a Nordic be a good fit for a 250-sq-ft, high-ceilinged, underinsulated room with bay window and a double-wide open doorway to a chilly 45-sq-ft hall? Corner installation; venting would be horizontal out the back of the unit (in the manual it looks like no snorkel is needed). I'm not sure if the lack of a heat exchanger would still be an issue? Nordic specs are 17,000BTU with turndown to 9,900; house is in Northern CA.

I've been looking at the Lillehammer and Allagash for this room but am wondering whether a little GF 100 unit might be able to be turned on high much of the time and do the trick. Many thanks for your help! I've read a million posts here about BTUs vs. stove size but would love confirmation if I'm on the right track.

gf 100.JPG

Last edited:
It's not a very good heater & that's because it has no heat exchanger.
If you want heat, choose a different model.