Tips for buying a used Jotul GF DV gas stove from afar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

warmup777

Dec 30, 2021
bay area
Hi! I've spent the last several weeks obsessively reading It's a Gas posts (thank you!), and I've narrowed down my search to the Jotul GF 200 or 300 DV standing pilot (NG). I don't have the budget for a new unit. Used stoves are very scarce in my area so I'm looking at trucking one out from farther afield. Since I have to buy without seeing the stove in person, I'd love some guidance about how to tell how old a unit is and if there are a couple things I could ask sellers to avoid red flags or paying some outlandish price.

One clue might be stove color--does someone know when Jotul stopped making the white enamel in the GF 200/300? That would be enormously helpful. One ivory unit has a serial number 001533, is there any date clue in there (first photo below) or elsewhere on the label (how long did they use ANSI 2002)?

I also saw one Lillehammer that has no doors in front and cannot figure out when they made this style or if it would be safe to buy--second and third photos below.

Last question is that someone has a Lopi Sturbridge that's sort of intriguing. Any input on whether that's a smart one to buy used?
This newbie is very grateful for any light you can shed!

300dv.jpg

lily2.jpg

lily.jpg

Last edited:
Call your local Jotul dealer & give him the serial numbers for each unit.
He can narrow down those numbers to the years they were built.

I ended up finding a GF 300 DV that is pretty old but was never installed, so it's on the way to me--cross fingers! I'm also on the hunt for a second stove and am trying to determine the correct size, posted separately.

Reactions: DAKSY