Any experience with the Vipukirves Axe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, cool videos! (Click on "media", video links are in the upper left).

I was most impressed with the video of the round sitting flat on the ground without a tire to hold it in place. The axe seems to do a good job of holding the round in place instead of tipping it over, which ads time to reset it. It's fascinating to watch the guy split the rounds in the tire too but it's not as impressive to me since I think most any good axe could do about as well.

It's just fun watching someone split wood who seems to know what they're doing. I'd say he would pretty easily outpace a log splitter, at least for the first 20 minutes anyway. :)

I think I'll stick with my Gransfors (which aren't cheap either) but it really would be sweet to have an axe that kept the round from falling over. I keep meaning to try the tire trick but the size of my rounds varies so much. I'm afraid I'd end up with multiple stations all over my yard with the appropriate sized rounds next to the corresponding tires. Then of course you still need to keep your oak, maple, apple, locust, etc. separate. So I figure I'd need about 24 tires all together spread out around the yard. At least it would cut down on mowing.

Alan

it was discussed around here a coupl years ago, I think a couple members might have even got one to test out

Thanks for the link- my husband is totally going to enjoy those videos.
He got a Gransfors Bruk maul for his last birthday but this one is certainly going on the list for next year!

Thats video was great....I now know what to do with that left over tire I have in back of the shed.
I can't believe how inefficient my splitting is...no wonder why it takes me so long.
Thanks for the link.

Yes, I remember quite a deal being made here and on arborsite about the lever axe. It was tested by many. It actually traveled a wide path during the testing phase that was allowed by the inventor.

There was mixed reviews. On straight grained, easy splitting stuff, it was said to be very fast and effective at making smaller splits. The larger you wanted the split the more difficult it became (i.e. wacking a 12" stump to make 2 6"er's).

The more difficult woods gave the leveraxe a workout, and in some cases was seen as not the proper tool. I believe weight was the common theme to most complaints. It wasn't heavy enough according to many. The build of the ax is designed to "lever" the intended split piece from the original stump.

The technique used for this ax was also a hot topic. You don't simple grab it with a baseball grip like a standard maul. You must allow the ax to "twist" at the end of the stroke for the "lever" part of the action to be effective.

Hope this gives a little insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.