Any help is appreciated here...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

someone416

Hearth Supporter
Nov 30, 2008
NH
hello all. as you can see, i am very new to this forum.

i've done some searching for a few days on here...but so far im unable to find a clear solution for my problem.

I have a Whitfield advantage 2...i believe. (i inherited it...as some other people on here have posted.)

It recently stopped feeding pellets...however, the auger motor itself was running...the auger was not turning...(stove empty/cleaned, etc.) i was able to turn the auger by hand though...

so a friend of mine ordered me a new auger motor assembly...

in the meantime...how do i remove the old one?

is there anyone here that would be willing to view some pictures if i took them, to advise me further?

like i said in the title...any help is appreciated.

To remove the auger just disconnect the two power wires (orientation doesn't matter) then unscrew the allen wrench set screw that holds the auger onto the shaft.

someone416 said:
hello all. as you can see, i am very new to this forum.

i've done some searching for a few days on here...but so far im unable to find a clear solution for my problem.

I have a Whitfield advantage 2...i believe. (i inherited it...as some other people on here have posted.)

It recently stopped feeding pellets...however, the auger motor itself was running...the auger was not turning...(stove empty/cleaned, etc.) i was able to turn the auger by hand though...

so a friend of mine ordered me a new auger motor assembly...

in the meantime...how do i remove the old one?

is there anyone here that would be willing to view some pictures if i took them, to advise me further?

like i said in the title...any help is appreciated.

if the motor is running but the auger is not turning , either a gear has stripped in the gearbox part of the auger motor, or and possible, if the motor has a setscrew it may be slipping or in some cases if it has a "shear pin" that may have broken due to a jam or somthing either would allow the auger motor to turn withot turning the auger

this is the second advantage 2 ive seen in here lately with feed issues , does anyone have a PDF of the maintenance manual i can get, would really help me know what makes thie stove tick and make it easier for me to help folks. i have managed to collect a few manuals from brands other than mine (lost most of them in a computer crash a while back) a paper copy would be cool (i'd pay for it) but i'd prefer to have it on computer so i can just open it and look when a question arises.

i was just browsing and found this link , you might read through it and find a similar malady to what your stove is doing, there is a link for the manual as well

BTW the poster who created this site has a link up to here so if you look in here you might find him as well , he says he has copies of the manual , i havent the time to dig him out personally. hope this is helpful , i didnt read very far but i figured i'd post you the link to perouse

http://www.butkus.org/whitfield_pellet_stove.htm

I cannot offer any help with your stove issue,
but I can give you some advice that will help
you get a quicker response here next time:

Give your thread a better title. Something that
better explains what you need usually works best.

G'luck!

zeta said:
I cannot offer any help with your stove issue,
but I can give you some advice that will help
you get a quicker response here next time:

Give your thread a better title. Something that
better explains what you need usually works best.

G'luck!

thanks for the advice....a simple common sense thing i didnt think about. ( i hope my stove is fixed in a similar fashion)

:)

stoveguy...thanks a ton for the link and the follow up!

i'll start looking through that tonight.

Shane said:
To remove the auger just disconnect the two power wires (orientation doesn't matter) then unscrew the allen wrench set screw that holds the auger onto the shaft.

thanks for the reply...i appreciate it very much.

as far as removing the allen wrench screw set, i have done that....but the auger motor seems to be stuck on there somehow...

hopefully im doing that correctly...?

thanks again for the help!

The motor may need some coaxing. Remove the allen head screw completely and then use a couple of scredrivers to rock it off.

stoveguy2esw said:
this is the second advantage 2 ive seen in here lately with feed issues , does anyone have a PDF of the maintenance manual i can get, would really help me know what makes thie stove tick and make it easier for me to help folks. i have managed to collect a few manuals from brands other than mine (lost most of them in a computer crash a while back) a paper copy would be cool (i'd pay for it) but i'd prefer to have it on computer so i can just open it and look when a question arises.
I allways just pass the torch to Rod or Shane on these......... It's the old dog new tricks effect..........And I'm not getting any younger.......... :cheese: Don't have much time to learn a new stove....

alright folks...i received my new auger motor yesterday, and did my best to try to rock the old motor off...

after 2 broken screwdrivers, im at a loss.

any other suggestions?

Are you sure you loosened the set screw?
A flat bar or crow bar works good.
work it off from each side a little at a time.

the set screw has been totally removed and placed on the table nearby....

if i can actually use a pry bar or something to generate that much force....i will certainly give it a try here in a few!

thanks!

ill keep it updated here

hearthtools said:
Are you sure you loosened the set screw?
A flat bar or crow bar works good.
work it off from each side a little at a time.

i know this might be beyond the time for stupid questions...but...the set screw is really only that metal ring held in by the screw you need an allan wrench to remove right?

If this is a whitfield they only have one set screw
some other stoves have 2

thanks again, hearthtools!

it is a whitfield and it only has one set screw....i'm going to try some liquid wrench and a couple vise grips tonight and see what i can do. (luckily its almost 50 degrees here in southern NH!!!)

i'll post an update soon

Status
Not open for further replies.